Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Travel Quilt" Put on your thinking caps >

"Travel Quilt" Put on your thinking caps

"Travel Quilt" Put on your thinking caps

Old 04-29-2011, 04:47 PM

We are also planning a cross country trip and I decided that I would by the sew on patches and use them as the center of quilt blocks.....like the center of a star or a churn dash etc. I hope you have a great trip...I know we will
Old 04-29-2011, 04:47 PM

Wow!!! you people are full of great ideas. I'll have to do some thinking and see what happens. I'll let you know (but not really soon-LOL). Thanks for all of your suggestions

Pat
Old 04-29-2011, 04:49 PM

I am new to this quilting thing, so I'm not sure what this is called. A lady posted earlier today a picture of a cow that she then made a mosaic quilt of. You could take pictures along the way then creat mosaic blocks. Hope you have a wonderful vacation :)
Old 04-29-2011, 05:11 PM

Sorry, I don't have any ideas for your quilt, but enjoy your trip! We flew out to Rapid City last fall, rented a car for a week, drove in an 1800 mile "circle" in six days and had the time of our lives! Enjoy every minute! The beauty of our country is amazing! And there is so much to see.....
Old 04-29-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
If you are going to be going to Yosemite, Kings Canyon or Sequoia Nat'l Parks, PM me. You will more than likely be in close proximity to me, maybe even pass through my town, to get to any of these 3 parks. I would love to take you on a personal tour to my favorite local quilting store!
How interesting, we visited Kings Canyon in July of 2009, those trees are unbelievable.

When we were on that trip from CA to PA we stopped at 11 quilt shops in 9 states in 10 days. I got some material at each place (sometimes just a fat quarter) and wanted to make a block or two for each state. I will be watching this thread with interest.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 PM

If you go to Yellowstone, my husband and I will be working in Bridge Bay Campground right there in the park!
Old 04-30-2011, 06:13 AM

How about using a picture from the states as the center of a block
Old 04-30-2011, 09:51 PM

Another thought that would work:

Take pictures and do a photo print using freezer paper transfer onto a muslin or other neutral background for your blocks. Then sash and border and bind.

My niece just made this type of quilt in two days (HER FIRST QUILT - WHOO HOOO!) and she has fallen in love with the idea.

Here's a YOUTUBE link mentioned in another blog here that uses this idea for quilt labels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mH2R...feature=relmfu

My 16 yr old niece used this idea to make 8" by 11" squares which she sashed and bound and bordered. This was her first big sewing project. Her mom and I learned to quilt from our grandparents, so this makes generation 4 quilter!

Using this technique you can design your quilt to ANY style that fits your trip.

Please show us what you decide to do.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:59 PM

I haven't read all the pages, but if you are visiting National Parks, they have the absolute best t-shirts. White with national park pic - beautiful and tasteful. a t-shirt quilt might be the way to go.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:10 PM

Thanks to everyone for all your great ideas. I even heard from 3 board members who offered tour advice. The members of this board are the greatest. I'll keep you informed about what I decide to do.

Pat