Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions please of border block >

Need opinions please of border block

Need opinions please of border block

Old 05-11-2011, 05:25 AM

I like your paw print blocks/cats and your colors.
It's really cute, you're doing an awesome job.
Keep up your great work.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:26 AM

I think the cat paws would be OK in moderation, i.e. in a few spots along the border, and not all over it. You could then echo them with your quilting and put a few extra paw prints on with the quilting. In my opinion, it would be more subtle.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Becky Mc
Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I am making the borders for a tesselating cat quilt.
I thought I would make blocks of cat paw prints to run up both side borders.
Anyway, I've made a practice block of 3 paw prints.
I can't decide if I like it, although I don't know why.
What do you think? Continue with it or try something else?
I also thought maybe make the paw prints out of the same print fabrics that the cats are made out of? Would that be better?
Or should I just File 13 the whole idea completely?
Thanks--
Oops.... I just realized I should have posted this in Pictures. Sorry Patrice.
I think a 1 to 1 1/2 inch border between the cats and the paw prints to break it up some. Someone else mentioned this to.
I agree with a 1 - 1 1/2 dark frame around the border will set apart that creative border. Either applique for round paw pads, but I really love the squared one. It goes with the block shape cats!!
Great fun design!!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:46 AM

I would put a border before the paw prints. Then I would try the paws every other square as well as every square to see which works the best. Needless to say....I love cats.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dian Reno
I'm working on a kitty quilt that just doesn't seem right so I just keep adding and working on it till I do like it. Added a small strip, emb "here kitty kitty" on border, might scallop the edges.
I LOVE the "here Kitty Kitty".....my friend, whom I am making this for, takes in strays and has an abandoned barn across the road from her where a lot of other cats live and she feeds them daily. So "here Kitty Kitty" would be fun. I might steal that idea from you if I have the time :D :D
Old 05-11-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by noahscats7
I would put a border before the paw prints. Then I would try the paws every other square as well as every square to see which works the best. Needless to say....I love cats.
Very good suggestions. Several people have mentioned a narrow inner border so I am definitely going to do that. Just have to find the right color in my stash...lol. I don't think I have enough of any of the fabrics used to make the cat bodies but I'm measuring all that I have.
And I'm going to space the paw prints out more. When I got up this morning and looked at it I thought they were too close together also. It will also cut way down on how many I need to make, thank goodness!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:12 AM

I like the pawprints, but would suggest a narrow border and then the pawprints. one pawprint wide on a lighter background would be my suggestion.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:12 AM

I LOVE the concept of the paws!!! Were it me I would probably be tempted to use a lighter background for the paws and I would put a border or two between the main portion and the paw prints and the paw prints would be my final border. Keep at it!!! I'm never happy with mine until it's completed.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:20 AM

Have you tried paper piecing the paws?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
[Very good suggestions. Several people have mentioned a narrow inner border so I am definitely going to do that. Just have to find the right color in my stash...lol. I don't think I have enough of any of the fabrics used to make the cat bodies but I'm measuring all that I have.
And I'm going to space the paw prints out more. When I got up this morning and looked at it I thought they were too close together also. It will also cut way down on how many I need to make, thank goodness!
Suggestion ... narrow border of the green, then narrower of the cat fabric, which could even be a scrappy mixed combo of the leftover fabrics, then the wider green with the paw prints on it!

Loved the idea of the Here Kitty Kitty ... write it out with your quilting stitches?