Visit to USA 2012

Old 05-21-2011, 01:54 PM

Lancaster, Pennsylvania is a quilter's Heaven. Pennsylvania is one gorgeous state and has so many sites to see; i.e. Gettysburg shouldn't be missed. My husband is from Pennsylvania and over the last fifty years I've learned to love it and its history.

We're having big sewing expo here in Colorado in July if you find yourself this far west.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:03 PM

Jacki,
when are you traveling to the WA-DC area? Sorry if I missed that in your orig. question. When we went 2 yrs ago, the metro was so very easy to navigate, and clean, clean, clean - food and drink are not allowed, not even bottled water. So many of the museums are free it's a really affordable vaca. Do you have children traveling with you? My son loved the International Spy Museum, ($) but that was the only one we had to pay for. you could google local quilt activities based on when you're here.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:22 PM

>>And my DH is from England (Oldham). He says to tell you that you need to be prepared for "long drives. Everything is farther away here in the states than back in England."

My husband is from England too ( NW Essex), and he says the same thing but loves the long drives here in the US.

there is an old saying ... "European's think 100 miles is a long way, and American's think 100 years is a long time". So very true.

A Dutch friend of mine wanted to come to the US for a dog show one year. The show was in Atlanta, I live in Chicago. He asked me if he could stay at my house and drive back and forth each day. When I told him how far away Atlanta is from Chicago he said "odd ... it's only 7 mm away on my map". Too funny!!
Old 05-21-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jacki
Thanks Everyone
Of course I should have said Washington DC - the Smithsonian is a must of course but we are thinking of a 2/3 week trip. March sounds good. Pity about the bus.
Food for thought - many, many thanks.
Jacki
Jacki...recently my husband and I rode the greyhound bus from the state of Oregon (on the west coast) all the way to southern Georgia ( over on the east coast). It took us more then 3 days ONE WAY. NEVER again will I do that. You are honest to goodness so squished in the seats that you feel like your a sardine. They CRAM the buses with as many people as they can fit in there. They STINK. They are filthy AND YOU DONT WANT TO USE THE BATHROOM!!!!! I would rather PEE MY PANTS then use the one on the bus. They have no way to wash your hands, usually there is no toilet paper and none on the bus just in case. If your not as skinny as a board you might as well not even go in there. And besides if the last person does not close the lid on the toilet...all its contents slosh around and ends up ALL OVER the seat, floor and walls. I was very careful on how much fluids I drank to make sure that I DID NOT have to use it. I'm just saying I wouldn't advise riding the greyhound bus. Next time we have to go back to Georgia (my mil health isnt good) we are going to take the Amtrack train. And with the greyhound bus, You CAN'T get up and walk around. Where as on the train You can. I hope you have a wonderful trip and are able to see a quilt show or two. :)
Old 05-21-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
There is no way on this earth I would ride a Greyhound by choice these days! I am afraid your vision is going to differ quite a bit from the reality.

Other than the Greyhound thing, I hope you do get to visit and have a wonderful time. Any AQS show will be a wonderful experience.
I agree... Greyhound is not what it used to be back in the good old days. However, there must be bus line tours that you could find on the internet by doing a search. Too bad you aren't coming all the way over to the West Coast... in Washington State country! :-D
Old 05-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

Have fun planning your vacation.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:55 PM

I took a Greyhound from Seattle to Spokane last year. It wasn't too bad but if you want a wonderful ride take Amtrak (we don't have the wonderful Urail trains that Europe does).
Old 05-21-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156

Jacki...recently my husband and I rode the greyhound bus from the state of Oregon (on the west coast) all the way to southern Georgia ( over on the east coast). It took us more then 3 days ONE WAY. NEVER again will I do that. You are honest to goodness so squished in the seats that you feel like your a sardine. They CRAM the buses with as many people as they can fit in there. They STINK. They are filthy AND YOU DONT WANT TO USE THE BATHROOM!!!!! I would rather PEE MY PANTS then use the one on the bus. They have no way to wash your hands, usually there is no toilet paper and none on the bus just in case. If your not as skinny as a board you might as well not even go in there. And besides if the last person does not close the lid on the toilet...all its contents slosh around and ends up ALL OVER the seat, floor and walls. I was very careful on how much fluids I drank to make sure that I DID NOT have to use it. I'm just saying I wouldn't advise riding the greyhound bus. Next time we have to go back to Georgia (my mil health isnt good) we are going to take the Amtrack train. And with the greyhound bus, You CAN'T get up and walk around. Where as on the train You can. I hope you have a wonderful trip and are able to see a quilt show or two. :)
Greyhound trips used to be sooo romantic in old movies .. :roll:
Old 05-21-2011, 05:46 PM

Washington DC has plenty to see. The Smithsonian Institute alone has 19 museums. The International Spy Museum was interesting. Ford's Theater was being renovated when we were there a few years ago but it might be open now. The Library of Congress was wonderful. There is a textile museum (can't remember the name) on S Street that was interesting. A little way away in Quantico, Virginia there is the Marine Corps Museum (we haven't been there but I heard it was good). When we were in DC a few years ago, the Metro didn't run around the clock. I wouldn't drive in DC if I were you. They drive like maniacs and I was glad that DH did any of the driving.

I would avoid the Grayhound idea. The last time I was on one, it was disgusting. Many of the bus stops are in no so nice areas of town.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jacki
Hello Everyone
We are starting to think of a holiday to Washington next year but, as a quilter, it seems only sensible to combine this with seeing one of your huge quilt shows somewhere. Having no idea about the geography, can someone make some suggestions?
I have a life long ambition to travel on a Greyhound bus so Washington to somewhere realistically accessible by bus is the answer.
The sun is shining in Kent (the garden of England) and I hope it's shining on you too.
Regards, Jacki
Are you going to land in Washington state, or Washington DC? I used to work for Greyhound and I guess it could be a really cheap way to travel, but I wouldn't do it- too many scummy people. I would rent a car or take a train. Definitely get over to Lancaster for a bunch of great quilt shops.