Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness >
  • Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness

• Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness

Old 05-23-2011, 04:18 AM
    MTS
    Banned

ghostrider and jaciqltznok are absolutely correct about marketing yourself. Especially these days.

Etsy, as a place to sell, is fine. It's easy to setup a storefront. But that's sort of irrelevant if no one knows you're there. ;-) I buy and sell on Etsy. But what I'm selling is searchable by one word and is not common, so if someone's looking for it, they'll find my listings. You're in a totally different situation.

In hindsight (and can't we all be brilliant with that), your wonderful progress posts here would have been very effective in your own blog.
    It can be hooked up to:
    http://quilterblogs.com/updates/
    and http://quiltinggallery.com/
    both free, and visible.

It actually wouldn't be a bad idea to start one now, and gradually, while you're finishing the quilt, throw some tidbits out there without giving away too much right now. Just slap a copyright stamp on every picture you put up. As you seen from several threads here, the concept of copyright isn't a understood or respected as it should/needs to be.

Signing up as basic member (free) here http://www.thequiltshow.com/ would allow you to display your blocks/quilts in the virtual Quilt Gallery. I've often followed up with quilters based on what I've seen there, to get more information or to ask a question about technique.

Those venues will expose you to a much larger audience, including those who will appreciate the uniqueness. They are by far the most original and charming I've seen.

You can still do the selling via etsy - or even your own blog/website, but that alone won't get you noticed.

Check out the first link. The blogs are all sort of incestuous. One offers a giveaway, or a new product, and they all link back to it. So you can see the same offer over and over but it makes you aware of the blogs.
    And some are just really good blogs.

Here are some of the best known blogs (off the top of my head). You've probably seen them already. All doing very different work, but have build up amazing followings - they're "first name only" bloggers. ;-)

Leah Day http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/
    Pretty amazing what she's accomplished in a short amount of time

Victoria/BumbleBeans and her scrap quilts started a whole 15 minutes of sewing movement with crumbs. http://bumblebeansinc.blogspot.com/

Wanda and her Kaffe creations - she doesn't sell anything but she's got a lot of eyes on her blog.
    [b]http://exuberantcolor.blogspot.com//[b]

Geta has managed, with her beautiful creations, to successfully produce and sell many different patterns.
    http://cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.com/

Right now you have only a limited number of items (9) to offer.
    But that could be easily expanded, right?

A pattern is great, and relatively inexpensive for you to produce if it's done as an e-pattern with a downloadable .pdf.

You could run a BOM. The patterns could with wonderful pictures, without worrying about printing costs for color photos. Geta (above link) has the most amazingly beautiful patterns - I've said it before. Concise, detailed step by step pictures. Her photography is gorgeous.

I also like the idea of buying the outlined pattern on fabric.
    I can't go to Spoonflower and have it printed because it's your copyrighted design. (Again, make sure you've got that stamped all over the place because people really don't get this. Even on the pictures you post here. Really.)

You could include lessons on different embellishments, painting, etc. It's the age of social media. I almost gag on that phrase but that's the way it's done now. You have to engage in a conversation with your prospective buyers.

But Leah/Victoria/Geta would never have gotten anywhere without doing just that.

I could so see this pattern at The City Quilter in Manhattan. http://thecityquilter.com
    Because even if the quilters aren't wearing Louboutins or Jimmy Choos, they know someone who is. ;-)

What was said upthread is spot on.
    If you want to sell your patterns, it's going to take a LOT of work on your part to get the word out.

You really have to think about how you want to market them - individually, as a quilt package/BOM, epattern, paper pattern, Spoonflower, etc, and how you would add to the collection.

(Purses? Hats? Although be careful of copyright with the purses. Can you do a Kelly bag? don't know.)

You're not going to pay off your mortgage, but you'd certainly make extra moola. And have a ton of fun in the process.

Sorry for the long rambling. I'm pretending we're sitting across a table, chatting, and having multiple cups of coffee. And now I have to go pee. ;-)
    Old 05-23-2011, 04:40 AM

I've had a shop there for a while and although I'm not selling things daily, I usually have a couple of sales a month. You are right that there is so much to look at and the prices can be way too expensive so it's like shopping anywhere else, you look around for the best prices. Many shops, like mine, offer free shipping.(Had to get a plug in.. lol) A nice feature that Etsy does have is the ability to ask the seller questions. Being that it is more of an artist community, I find that, like here on the board, people are more willing to share their knowledge or make suggestions. I like that about Etsy. Are you going to get rich off Etsy? Probably not, but having an email in the mornings from Etsy telling you that you have a sale is sooo much fun! It's just a bright start to the day!
    Old 05-23-2011, 04:43 AM

I think it is a good venue for folks to sell the nice things they make by hand and I have purchased hand made items there. ?Also bought great zippers for zipper flowers from Zip It on Esty.
    Old 05-23-2011, 04:44 AM

I have bought quite a few things on Etsy and have never been dissapointed. I've bought a couple of lap quilts, embroidered quilt squares, and lots of fabric. I'll admit that I thought the material was a bit pricey but some of it I couldn't find anywhere else, so it was worth it. I've found some very unique fabric on Etsy and when all esle fails, I seem to find what I need or want on Etsy. I've always had good communication with the sellers as well. Hope that helps.
    Old 05-23-2011, 04:50 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by JulieTN
    I have bought a few quilting type items. All went well, and received the product quickly too. Like eBay, it is the feedbacks on the seller you look for. I am tending to be more caustous for some reason on both eBay and etsy ... will not even LOOk at Craigslist.

Just my own thought tho
    Julie
    trust me, you can NOT use the feedback to "judge" the seller...you would be surprised how many buyers, especially on ebay, give bad feedback simply because they can...has nothing at all to do with the seller or the items...
    Old 05-23-2011, 04:57 AM

I have only purchased bird toys (for parrots) on Esty, service was excellant, but cannot help you with other kinds of purchases. All depends on the seller how good the service is I would think. Take care.
    Linda
    Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 AM
    Banned

I know people are getting away from selling on EBay because of the newest fees and such that the sellers have to pay. Their profit margins are going down to the point they can't make it. They are moving to Etsy.
    Old 05-23-2011, 05:00 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    I know people are getting away from selling on EBay because of the newest fees and such that the sellers have to pay. Their profit margins are going down to the point they can't make it. They are moving to Etsy.
    yes they are...and with that brings MORE competition and LESS visibility on Etsy...you really have to work at promoting your stuff and knowing the right "tag words" to use for people to find you!
    Old 05-23-2011, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by rushdoggie
    I have bought several beautiful things from Etsy, none of it quilting related. One thing I like is you can put in something odd (like I searched "leafy seadragon" because my sister loves those things) and find beautiful handcrafted items (I found a hand thrown and painted mug with a leafy seadragon on it). I found some really nicely made car litter bags and matching tissue holders I bought and they are great. I bought a few as gifts. I have a friend who sells really pretty silver and beaded jewelry there too.

As far as most sewing stuff, I can do better making it myself, usually. I wouldn't go there for fabric etc unless I was looking for something special and hand dyed.
    What she said! Etsy is fabulous for 'niche' items, and for ideas.
    Old 05-23-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    There is a rather nifty fee calculator that can be used to compute your Etsy profits at differing price points. http://www.rolbe.com/etsy.htm