Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate it!  I hate it!! >

I hate it! I hate it!!

I hate it! I hate it!!

Old 05-31-2011, 11:22 AM

I have not been quilting very long, and the first time I did the actual quilting, I hated it. Now I find it very satisfying. I did have to get a walking foot and learn to support the weight of my quilt on my ironing board, but, now I don't hate it. I am not willing to pay for someone to do it.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:46 AM

This is why I have a bunch of tops not quilted. But darn it, I had fun making them and WOULD NOT have fun quilting them, so that's that!!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by shamrock
Machine quilting anything over 24 " square, I hate it. My machine knows I hate it! My whole sewing room braces for it. I have eased the presser button, the tension, I'm just straight sewing, nothing fancy. Grrrrr!
Thank you, I feel better. I'll have a cup of coffee and a cookie, and go at it again.
I feel your pain and agree wholehearted with you. I'm trying to find more time to practice - not easy though and am using smaller projects. One piece of advice that someone shared with me was to to go at 1/2 speed if your machine allows it and then press down on the pedal as hard as you want. That has helped me some.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Antdebby1
Originally Posted by gaigai
Machine quilting anything over 24 " square, I hate it. My machine knows I hate it! My whole sewing room braces for it. I have eased the presser button, the tension, I'm just straight sewing, nothing fancy. Grrrrr!
Thank you, I feel better. I'll have a cup of coffee and a cookie, and go at it again.
I hate it with a passion right along with you!!! I decided a while ago that

A) Life is too short to wrestle a big quilt through the throat of a small machine, and more importantly

B) Hobbies are supposed to be enjoyable. If they aren't enjoyable, they can't be called hobbies, they are punishment. That means that

C). People who persist in doing something that is punishment are masochists.

D). I am not a masochist. I now enjoy piecing, and quilt by check.

And people who tell you to hang in there are sadists who enjoy the pain of others. My advice: Decide whether it's worth the aggravation, and if not, don't do it.
Amen!!!!
What is quilt by check?
Old 05-31-2011, 02:49 PM

A) Life is too short to wrestle a big quilt through the throat of a small machine, and more importantly

B) Hobbies are supposed to be enjoyable. If they aren't enjoyable, they can't be called hobbies, they are punishment. That means that

And people who tell you to hang in there are sadists who enjoy the pain of others. My advice: Decide whether it's worth the aggravation, and if not, don't do it.
This theory is priceless and I total agree LOL
Old 05-31-2011, 05:58 PM

AMEN!!!!!!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:00 PM

I have no idea what happened to my last post but I say
AMEN!!!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:26 PM

I find SID easier at this point. I'm finding it way too difficult to "freely" move the quilt when I'm wrestling with it trying to get it under the needle. I would like to get to free motion eventually...
Old 05-31-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR
Originally Posted by Antdebby1

Amen!!!!
What is quilt by check?
It is when you pay someone with a check to quilt your quilt. :)
Old 05-31-2011, 07:38 PM

QAG may be as useful to you as it is for me. That way you get to chose what size to quilt!