Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a project! >

I need a project!

I need a project!

Old 06-07-2011, 05:46 AM

I have recently started an English Paper Piecing project for that purpose too, I am piecing 1" hexagons into flowers. I found it pretty easy to baste and whip stitch even with turbulence on the plane. Fun and easy project. And regarding scissors and pins and needles..I had no problem at all and I was carrying a pack on needles and a few pins and scissors with blunt tips. It is not per airline to decide what items are allowed passed security, but rather TSA in the U.S. And not sure who in Australia.

Now I am thinking I want to make yoyos too.

Have a fabulous trip!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:06 AM
nab

I vote for the English paper piecing. It is easy to carry and you do not have to think real hard. Counted cross stitch is another carry along project. You can make some very cute quilts from cross stitched squares. Have a great trip!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:36 AM

I have 17 fusions in my back and limited use of my right arm. Our family loves photography, hiking, camping, etc. I was thinking that I could pick up embroidery again to have something to do while sitting in the car, at the camp site etc. It has been years, but I have seen some that would be beautiful incorporated into a quilt. Will see if I enjoy it as it would be great to have something to do besides read a good book.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:37 AM

I dont think they will allow you with a needle on the plain.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:46 AM

.....how about embroidery on blocks for a quilt to be made later or yo-yo's. My friend made at least 100 yo-yo's on a very long plane trip, that she used in a quilt after she got home.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:22 AM

Also take a couple ziplocks for thread scraps. I used to do counted cross stitch on the planes. 8-pointed stars would also be good.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:31 AM

Yo yo'S?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dotsie
I dont think they will allow you with a needle on the plain.
Yes they do. I just travelled 3000 miles both ways with many needles and o problems. I think there was a while after 9/11 when everything was banned..but if you go to the TSA government site, it lists what is prohibited to pass through security.

Edited to add: that is in the U.S. Don't know about Australia but found lists of prohibited items here and neither needles nor blunt scissors are on them.

http://www.travelsecure.infrastructu...ted_items.aspx
Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 AM

How about a baby quilt or two that are ready to quilt when you get on the plane, and that you enjoy handquilting for the many hours it will take to get there? My other idea, since you have (UGH!) 18 hours to spend---TWICE---- is a project that maybe you've always wanted to try but never have...handpiecing or applique or maybe both. Make yourself a kit with all the pieces cut before you go. Congrats on becoming a grandma! It's a most wonderful thing to be!!!!!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:49 AM

How about a big needle turn applique project? Im looking at the "Baltimore Christmas" pattern now. Just ordered the first pattern of the set! Prep in advance, place in baggies.