Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Someone Help me with this puppy!!!! >

Someone Help me with this puppy!!!!

Someone Help me with this puppy!!!!

Old 06-15-2011, 07:25 AM

[quote=sljolander]I had the same thing with my young dog a few years ago. After trying everything I finally tried a friends suggestion of stepping on her back paws when she is jumping up. I know it does not sound "nice", but it only took a few times and she decided it was not worth it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I did this with our rescue Dobermans, plus the knee in the chest. After the first couple of days none of them ever jumped up on anyone again. One of them, our dear Kurt, would bounce up and down in front of us, "smiling" in eagerness to come with us. That smile scared a few visitors==here was a huge Doberman jumping up and showing his teeth at us!!! But he never touched anyone when jumping.
I was pack leader, had to be because DH was such a softy with our critters. Our fur babies were all adults when we got them, huge, powerful and abused, so we started off with loving them. Any child or animal wants to be part of the family, and they quickly learned that good behavior got them in the house, behaving badly got them ordered out into the back yard.

It does take the whole family working together to make an animal one of the family, but they will be full of love all their lives, and very welcome to visit with anyone who comes in the front door.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:44 AM

See if there is an obedience class at your local pet shop. It takes some time but is so worth the effort.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 AM

I would suggest a training class. Please be careful using your knee, you can actually break her ribs.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 AM
M

Puppy training has been my salvation with my 6 month old puppy. Praise for doing a good thing has been the key. I call my puppy "Scary Smart", she learns fast, but I have seen out of control dogs in class turn into well behaved animals. If you really want to have it easy and for your sanity, try the classes.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:39 AM

Kennel train her. They love it and it works by reinforcing good behavior, not punishing bad
Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Puppies that will be large dogs are always perfect for obedience school. Keep a grate, cage whatever you want to call it close by and stick him in it before you answer the door. That will keep him from hurting someone until you get him trained.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:43 AM

Ask people coming to see you to totally ignore the puppy -- no petting and no eye contact until they have been in the house and the dog has settled down from his excitement. Then, he can be called to that person and petted. If he still wants to jump, have that person push him away, no eye contact and no petting, until he clams down again. This reinforces that a calm, submissive state is the only one that will get him positive attention. Any attention -- good or bad-- reinforces that jumping gets him attention. Also, work with him on sit-stay. I have an English springer (known by that name for a reason!) who used to jump on people. I worked with her on sit-stay at a position about 6 feet from the front door, at the end of my hall runner. I do not open the door until she is in position, sitting and staying. If she breaks sit-stay, I ask the person outside to wait until she gets into sit-stay again. It generally only takes one time.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
Make sure that you are taking her out for regular walks so she has a chance to work off that energy. Also make sure she understands that YOU are at the top of the pecking order.

Cesar Milan has really good tips also.
She sounds like she has a lot of energy! I agree with above!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:09 AM

I had a neighbor who taught her dog not to jump up by stepping on her back feet and sternly saying "NO" when she did it.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:41 AM

The rule for puppies is "Ignore the Bad, Reward the Good"... behavior that is. If she is getting your attention (even yelling or scolding) for the unwanted behavior, then she's getting what she wants. You need to start teaching her SIT instead and then reward the sit with lots of praise (and treats, if you're a treat-giver). In other words, replace the unwanted behavior with the one that you want. When you walk in, tell her to sit and when she does, praise, pet, treats, etc. If she does not sit, ignore her until she finally sits (out of boredom, probably) and then lavish on the praise and pets.