Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Someone Help me with this puppy!!!! >

Someone Help me with this puppy!!!!

Someone Help me with this puppy!!!!

Old 06-15-2011, 05:32 AM

Turn around when she starts jumping and ignore this bad behavior. when she settles turn back around and tell her good girl.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Walter'sMom
I kept a spray bottle of water handy - a spray in the face doesn't hurt them but sure has got their attention. Now I just have to say 'do you want me to get the spray bottle?' and that was 10 and 12 years ago for my 2 yellow labs. For barking control, I used a few pennies in an empty soda can and shook it when they barked. Both methods worked like a charm. Obedience training and exercise is also key for smart dogs like retrievers.
We had a squirt gun - I would look at Bess, "Bad Dog", give her a squirt!!!!!! Never say the dog's name in anger. Give her/him another name when you are angry at her/him - Ours was "Roundhead"! Dogs can put "bad Bess and good Bess together and make it sound good. Bad Roundhead gets their attention. Anyhow, back to my squirt gun - now all we have to say is three words, one syllable each, very distinct - "GET THE GUN". That's all it takes now! Which incidentally is so very rare that we don't even have the squirt gun anymore. Long gone (She doesn't know that yet, we just say "Get the Gun") - Bess is 8-1/2 now. Owns the house! Lock, stock and barrel. We do get to live here rent free if we keep her in food, snacks and more love than you can imagine. Edie
Old 06-15-2011, 05:56 AM

a head halter while you walk the pup is also a great investment. If you can control the head, you can control the dog! It looks kinda like a muzzle, but is definitely NOT a muzzle. it slips around their muzzle and head. it helps infinitely with all kinds of problems.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:18 AM

I had the same thing with my young dog a few years ago. After trying everything I finally tried a friends suggestion of stepping on her back paws when she is jumping up. I know it does not sound "nice", but it only took a few times and she decided it was not worth it. And also, the sitting down when you come in. I still do that because she is so excited to see me and her tail is a killer.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:23 AM

LOVE this idea! Also you can put a few pennies in an aluminum soda can and shake it just once sharply when she is misbehaving and she will respond! This is especially good if you are not right in the vicinity of the incident.

Originally Posted by lindyline
Get a can of air for cleaning computers and spray it down yourself every time she jumps
Old 06-15-2011, 07:05 AM

I have an almost 4 year old golden, she is my avatar, and I have a spray bottle with water and instruct down or stop. If she doesn't I spray her with H2O. If she is out of control and excited now all I have to do is pick up the bottle and she quickly retreats. It doesn't hurt them and for some reason dogs do not like being sprayed in the face. Lots of luck. She is just now quieting down, we rescued her when she was 1 1/2 and she really must not had any discipline because she doesn't think she does anything wrong. I wouldn't trade her for anything. Great dogs.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by nycquilter
a head halter while you walk the pup is also a great investment. If you can control the head, you can control the dog! It looks kinda like a muzzle, but is definitely NOT a muzzle. it slips around their muzzle and head. it helps infinitely with all kinds of problems.
That's the Gentle Leader I was talking about - works great! Edie
Old 06-15-2011, 07:09 AM

I had also heard of the "walking into them". It puts them off balance which they don't like and lots of consistency and patience. Enjoy your beautiful puppy.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:10 AM

Definitely check out Ceasar Milan! Also, let your visitors know to IGNORE the dog when they come in until she settles down and becomes calm.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:15 AM

One thing that works on all my dogs is when they jump up on you uninvited, pinch the skin in between their toes. It doesn't hurt them, but it sure is uncomfortable. They'll learn to associate jumping with the pinch, and they'll stop. Knees to the chest work too, if you're quick enough to block them.