Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what in your opinion is the best quilting magazine? >

what in your opinion is the best quilting magazine?

what in your opinion is the best quilting magazine?

Old 07-12-2011, 03:19 AM

I have gotten American Patchwork and Quilting for probably 6 yrs. and always found something I really liked in every one, but the last year, there didn't seem to be anything much that appealed to me, so I have let that subscription go. I also had one fo McCalls Quilting and really like some of their patterns. Let that one go too, but will pick up at the store if I see something I like. Got sick and tired of F&P and did not renew that one. I pick up Easy quilts and McCalls Quick quilts at the store if there is anything I can't live without. Hmmmm, looks like I am down to 0 subscriptions. I still love Quilting Arts and subscribed to it for about 6 yrs. It got so pricy that I let that go too but pick one up once in a while at the store if I can get it at JoAnnes with a coupon, but haven't been to JoAnnes in months.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
After taking many quilting magazines I've settled down to just one subscription - Quilters Newsletter Magazine. I also get the magazine that comes with American Quilting Society membership. I'm not looking for patterns in the magazines. I got totally turned off Fons and Porter with their little quilting DVD promotion, and I got really tired of seeing the same designs over and over in all the magazines - but in the latest fabrics.
Same here for me! All the patterns look about the same to me, i'm looking for interesting articles, outside the box quilt making and ideas to help me improve my skills and step outside my comfort zone.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:22 AM

I at some point have gotten them all & enjoyed reading them then got sick took all the mag's cut out the quilts I want to make & shared the books with my thursday quilting group & quit all subscriptions, they take up to much room.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
My problem is I like them all. I discovered that Hastings Bookstores (midwest store) carry all of them and I go in and read them all and buy only one I can't live without.:)

If I had to choose one it would be American Patchwork and Quilting.
Same here...
Old 07-12-2011, 03:40 AM

The Quilter.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:44 AM

My favorite is Quiltmaker. Used to love Foundation Piecer, sorry it went out of business.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:55 AM

I do like Quiltmaker and QuickQuilts and I also get McCall's and Quilters' World.......but I have decided that I will not renew all of them.

I like PPing and there are not many patterns for the paper piecing in many of the magazines.

I would be happy if they would put a magazine out dedicated just so PPing..
Old 07-12-2011, 04:10 AM

I read American Patchwork & Quilting, Quilter's World, McCall's and Fons and Porter. I have decided not to renew Fons and Porter due to the CD episode and clothing ads in the middle of the magazine. If they have to start selling clothes to afford making the magazine, I'm not interested.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:12 AM

fabric trends
Old 07-12-2011, 04:29 AM

I have several subscriptions: My favorite is the Quilter; but
I like BHG American Patchwork & Quilting; McCalls, Fons & Porter, Quilt and Quiltmaker. I keep all of my issues!!