Racoons in the Corn! Help!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Michjan
I play a radio station that plays loud , LOUD music. It works for me.
Last night my husband put a LOUD radio in the patch. Since it is 4 miles from our house he hasn't been out there yet today but will go soon. We'll see if it worked. I told him not to put it on a station racoons like....it might "increase their enjoyment of cleaning out our patch to their favorite tunes!" Many have posted using an electric fense but the problem would be electricity. I think the "hot sauce" idea will be next but I am getting a book for husband called "Carrots Love Tomatoes" which tells what to plant next to what....and they say racoons don't like cumcumbers or the vines so to enclose the corn patch with them. Maybe next year. The shotgun idea is probably the best but we live too far away uless my husband would sit in the corn patch all night (NOT). Thanks for the helpful advice from everyone.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:54 AM

I call my 22 catch and release - works every time !
I like the idea of the hot sauce and water.
My neighbor has a Blue Healer dog- I don't have any coon, possom,wood chucks, squirls, very few rabbits. wish she would get the moles and such. What works for those? I did hear of a man putting urine in the runs and worked for him.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:07 AM

I am a "city girl" ... all I can think is how cute raccoons are... lol
Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Alice Woodhull
Electric fence for our garden. The trouble began a few weeks ago with rabbits eating the little plants. So it was out with the fencer and fence. We have 3 rounds, one a couple inches off the ground for baby rabbits, one a little higher, and one about a foot off the ground. So far, it has helped. We didn't have a beet to can last year as they ate the leaves off both ends of the row. Then when the beets started to form, they ate them. There wasn't enough left to even cook a mess. I did get to can 10 pints this year, plus have some to eat along on. Did you know that beet leaves make good "greens." I haven't tried them, but the judge at our local fair last week said they were good. I may have to try them next year. My husband has just gone out to the garden to weedeat under the fence, as the grass makes the wire ground out and not do its job.
aaahhhh ... bunnies are cute too ... sorry everyone ...
Old 07-18-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by flowerjoy
I am a "city girl" ... all I can think is how cute raccoons are... lol
Ugh. Not!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by janell2009
Originally Posted by kaykwilts
shotgun....works great!! I know this may seem cruel, but if you've ever seen the damage that a coon can do to a flock of chickens, they are no longer cute, furry animals but predators...and need to be gone from my farm. And they can carry rabies. Look around for their nest and do the dirty work....just my opinion....

Shotgun...works every time
If you do this you will have to make sure you have a varmit liscence in SD anyway.. might be different in each state. but you would need to check before you kill any wild animal. The GFP loves to fine people for even protecting their own crops, and the corpse would need to be disposed of according to the rules of the state.
Must be each state has their own rules....here in Tx a landowner can shoot nuisance animals...such as racoons and hogs...on their own land without a hunting or trapping license IF those animals are causing damage or loss to agricultural products...such as corn. A landowner can authorize an "agent" to also hunt nuisance animals on the landowner's land. Of course, protected birds and animals do not fall under this heading!! As long as their is loss or danger to person or property, Texas is pretty accommodating...that's one of the reasons I love living here!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by janell2009
shotgun....works great!! I know this may seem cruel, but if you've ever seen the damage that a coon can do to a flock of chickens, they are no longer cute, furry animals but predators...and need to be gone from my farm. And they can carry rabies. Look around for their nest and do the dirty work....just my opinion....

Shotgun...works every time
If you do this you will have to make sure you have a varmit liscence in SD anyway.. might be different in each state. but you would need to check before you kill any wild animal. The GFP loves to fine people for even protecting their own crops, and the corpse would need to be disposed of according to the rules of the state.
Must be each state has their own rules....here in Tx a landowner can shoot nuisance animals...such as racoons and hogs...on their own land without a hunting or trapping license IF those animals are causing damage or loss to agricultural products...such as corn. A landowner can authorize an "agent" to also hunt nuisance animals on the landowner's land. Of course, protected birds and animals do not fall under this heading!! As long as their is loss or danger to person or property, Texas is pretty accommodating...that's one of the reasons I love living here!!!
I do believe Texas has it correct.... here in SD.. The game fish and parks has too much power and answers to no one. We were fined last year for a dead deer, that was killed while they were destroying our ground hay pile to the tune of $1200.00.... we are the land owners and were told in writing to haze them.... We have told every public official we can tell about the situation with no decent response.... I love Texas for it common sense... Does it make sense to fine a land owner for protecting his property?
Old 07-18-2011, 10:55 AM

I think it is called Golden Malathion - it is in crystal or pellet form used to kill flies - the coons flock to it - and in the morning you can count how many there has been robbing you - they get about 10 foot from teh dish and they are dead! Make sure no pets are out to eat it - but it works!!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:03 AM

The loud radio worked!!! So unless the heatwave we are having slowed down their appetites....the loud music all night discouraged them. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Candy
The loud radio worked!!! So unless the heatwave we are having slowed down their appetites....the loud music all night discouraged them. Thanks!
YYYYEEEEAAAHHH!!!!