Racoons in the Corn! Help!

Old 07-18-2011, 05:39 PM

My husband used to hang a couple of his dirty/unwashed shirts in our corn patch. Seemed to work until one of the racoons dropped his sunglasses in the patch so hubby decided to give up. This corn and melon patch was a bit away from our home so was hard to keep an eye on it.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:18 PM

I don't have a better suggestion for you, but I think "Raccoons in the Corn" sounds like a great name for a quilt block!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kappy
Originally Posted by PrettyCurious
I thought "Racoon's in the Corn" was a name for a quilt pattern that I just hadta see!

*hangs head and exits
That is so funny....it really does sound like the name of a quilt pattern, unfortunately for those of us who are trying to grow a garden it's not as cute as it sounds! Maybe "Pelts on the Barn Wall"!!!
I'd like a couple woodchuck pelts on my barn wall. I have raccoons but they don't climb a 6-foot chain link fence to attack my 25x50' veggie garden the way the woodchucks do. I have witnessed their agility and I'm speechless. They climb up the fence and jump down. well, they have to climb because I buried chicken wire under the fence and it goes three feet up the chain link for good measure. Firing a gun is prohibited within our town but my neighbor shoots and hunts and I am truly tempted except there are children next door and over the back yard.

I so sympathize with you. Corn is a serious crop, not a few lousy pepper plants and a pot of tomatoes!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by jad1044
I think it is called Golden Malathion - it is in crystal or pellet form used to kill flies - the coons flock to it - and in the morning you can count how many there has been robbing you - they get about 10 foot from teh dish and they are dead! Make sure no pets are out to eat it - but it works!!
Would stay away from any poisons
We put out poison in the garage which had a major mouse issue. Something carried it to the entrance and our dog got it. Thankfully I was there and fought her off( 100 pound newfindland lab mix) I dug it out of her mouth and then sat there feverishly piecing back together to make sure I got it al while she stood there snarling and growling over her lose of something so sweat. Another critter got into it and got far enough away that it was picked up by a cat which died in the neighbors yard and a raven was eating the carcus of the cat. The chain of poison ing can and will go far beyond what you want. I would try the mothballs in a container with holes I heard from another source who also said it works and has no affect on the growth only acts as a retardent for animals. Workers at the dollar store say they can't keep it on the shelves because people come in loking for it and say they use it for the same thing.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:25 PM

live traps and relocate them. work for us.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:54 AM

we do that to keep varmints out of our camp when it's closed up for the "off season"....... never even had a mouse!
Old 07-19-2011, 03:08 AM

for woodchucks - I had some in my barn the year after my husband passed away. A neighbor who hunts set traps (not live ones). Got the buggers! Those are nasty creatures! very destructive. Would this be legal in town?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:10 AM

I had a similar problem several years ago. My 89 year old mother told me to sprinkle some moth balls around. I was concerned about how they would affect the ground (toxic? I don't think so but you never know) so I set several tin pie plates with 3 or 4 moth balls in them...worked like a charm.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by iowabelle
I don't have a better suggestion for you, but I think "Raccoons in the Corn" sounds like a great name for a quilt block!
oh I love this....any ideas anyone???? :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-19-2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by dilyn
I had a similar problem several years ago. My 89 year old mother told me to sprinkle some moth balls around. I was concerned about how they would affect the ground (toxic? I don't think so but you never know) so I set several tin pie plates with 3 or 4 moth balls in them...worked like a charm.
I am going to try the moth balls... and I will look at the dollar store for them.. hehehe.. worth a try them things really stink...