Racoons in the Corn! Help!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by janjj
for woodchucks - I had some in my barn the year after my husband passed away. A neighbor who hunts set traps (not live ones). Got the buggers! Those are nasty creatures! very destructive. Would this be legal in town?
Traps are legal but no luck with traps as the critter would rather go for the garden goodies than peanut butter, nuts, greens, whatever we put in the trap. What do you put in a trap that is better than a row of young lettuce?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by dottientx
My husband used to hang a couple of his dirty/unwashed shirts in our corn patch. Seemed to work until one of the racoons dropped his sunglasses in the patch so hubby decided to give up. This corn and melon patch was a bit away from our home so was hard to keep an eye on it.
Oh the Hot pepper spray would have worked on them... They would have gotten it on their hands... and just maybe whiped their eyes.... burn city... LOL...
Old 07-19-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew
Originally Posted by janjj
for woodchucks - I had some in my barn the year after my husband passed away. A neighbor who hunts set traps (not live ones). Got the buggers! Those are nasty creatures! very destructive. Would this be legal in town?
Traps are legal but no luck with traps as the critter would rather go for the garden goodies than peanut butter, nuts, greens, whatever we put in the trap. What do you put in a trap that is better than a row of young lettuce?
I heard marshmellow or cat food...
Old 07-19-2011, 03:37 PM

I don't garden now, but my parents did. They found playing a radio very loudly worked for varmints like raccoons. Of course, if you aren't near an electrical source, that means you spend on batteries for the radio, which is what they did. Apparently, the radio voices make them think people are present.
Marcia aka M.Elizabeth
Old 07-19-2011, 04:14 PM

We are having a major racoon problem - not in the garden - but on our front porch when we go out twice a day to feed two stray cats that wondered in half starved. We take the food in as soon as the cats eat, but the racoons are getting very brave and run at us when we try to scare them away (one ran straight at my ankle growling!) We have to carry a large stick like a broom handle to push them away from us. Even spraying them full in the face with a water hose turned on full blast fails to deter them. There are at least 3 of them and I am scared of them!
I don't want to poison them or do anything that would cause them pain like pepper spray, but I am at my wit's end! It is not legal here to trap and relocate. I am afraid they are sick and will bite one of us, or the cats...
Old 07-20-2011, 10:51 AM

If they're anything like the coons that climb my fence into my back yard & steal my cat and bird food B/4 I remember to bring it in - NOTHING BUT A 22 WILL WORK.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:55 PM

You put lettuce ! Also they were digging under my cement floor in my barn so we set them in the area where they were coming and going.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:21 PM

[quote=jad1044]My suggestion is do what you have to do to protect your property - just don't talk about it!!! It's called the NO TELL POLICY! No one can charge you with indecent acts to get rid of wild animals if they do not know about it.[/quot

AMEN!!
Old 07-23-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
I don't want to poison the.
Better to cause the raccoon pain than to have to get rabies shots.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Originally Posted by lovelyl
I don't want to poison the.
Better to cause the raccoon pain than to have to get rabies shots.
True. We have to do something for our safety. Its just hard - I always try to protect furry creatures, but this is getting to be an exception. Bummer.