Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WalMart fabric >

WalMart fabric

WalMart fabric

Old 07-20-2011, 07:14 AM

We are getting a new superstore and they don't want to move stuff so I've gotten some great deals on fabric. Beautiful flannel for $1.50/yd, courduroy for $1.50/yd, $2 for charm squares, etc. Yes! I love a great deal!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:19 AM

I so hope our Walmarts will put the fabric departments back in. One of them has some fabric but not much. We miss that department sooooo much!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:37 AM

I was at our local WalMart yesterday. They had material for $1.50 you had to look at it carefully to make sure it was not thin. Some was pretty good and some was not so good. They had stacks of material in carts that had not been priced yet. Needless to say, I will be going back.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:41 AM

This is from Don-isewman. I'm not sure if all of the complaining made a problem for Wal-Mart or not. Our Wal-Mart here in Muscatine, is BRINGING BACK BOLTS of material. There not selling the material yet. There only 1/2 full. When they do, I'll be checking them out more, and more. Don-isewman
Old 07-20-2011, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
Walmart gets the bad rap but really all big box stores do the same thing and it is really we the consumer that drives the little guys out by voting with our wallet
When Walmart took out their fabric dept here, a few months later one fabric shop and one quilt shop opened. Both shops knew they had it made, only sewing stores for miles around. In less then two years both filed bankruptcy and closed. It's not always the fact that a big box store drives small business out. Look at the mini malls next to a big Walmart, they love the traffic Walmart brings. A Walmart moves, the stores around it lose business.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by snowdenb
Yesterday the creative cuts were marked down to $3.98 for 2 yards. Regular price $7.97. When I checked out the price was $1.99 for 2 yards. Some fat quarters and 5 inch squares (100) were $2.74. Some of the fat quarters were 31 cents. Of course I walked back and picked up several more.
This store still says they are not getting the bolts back but they are reducing the price of the fabric.
The price was worth walking back twice to get more fabric.
Our Wal Mart is bringing fabric back, but what I looked at was not a good grade of fabric, felt like muslin, and lots and lots stiffener in it. I can't imagine what will happen to it when it is washed. I bought some of their packaged fabric ONCE because I needed a certain color for lining for a tote bag. That stuff is just horrible, no more fabric from Wal Mart for me.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Enchanted Quilter
We are getting our fabric dept back so are alot of the stores around the Tulsa ok area.
We have 2 stores in Edmond and one in Guthrie... I haven't seen any evidence of either getting them back
One of the stores in Edmond is the "original" store Guthrie was made into a super center and the store on I35/15th is "new". Would be nice to have more than just Hancocks and Hobby Lobby to chose "affordable" fabric from.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Our Wal Mart is bringing fabric back, but what I looked at was not a good grade of fabric, felt like muslin, and lots and lots stiffener in it. I can't imagine what will happen to it when it is washed. I bought some of their packaged fabric ONCE because I needed a certain color for lining for a tote bag. That stuff is just horrible, no more fabric from Wal Mart for me.
I found that it depends on what the fabric manager orders... some managers don't know which end to thread the needle others are very knowledgeable about fabrics
Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Perhaps the problem is NOT the fabric (or whatever product) that happens to be in a particular store -

The problem may be that the BUYER did not choose a fabric (or whatever product) appropriate for the intended use.

If I buy cheesecloth for a backing because it was cheap, then it is inappropriate for me to complain that it isn't working out well or holding up.

Don't buy it if you don't think it is suitable for your uses.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 AM

Fredericksburg VA has just started getting the fabric back in. Yeah!!!!!