Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you have an "artistic tempermant" about your quilting? >
  • Do you have an "artistic tempermant" about your quilting?

• Do you have an "artistic tempermant" about your quilting?

Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 AM

I really dislike my DH criticism... so I have to fume for a few minutes... then I think about what he said (he is more artistic than me)... and later (sometimes much later... too late) I will admit that he really did have a good idea and I would use it the next time... I guess I want my projects to be "me" even if I have to learn the harder way... I dont think that is being artistic... I think it is being stubborn and disliking criticism... ??
    Old 08-04-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by flowerjoy
    I really dislike my DH criticism... so I have to fume for a few minutes... then I think about what he said (he is more artistic than me)... and later (sometimes much later... too late) I will admit that he really did have a good idea and I would use it the next time... I guess I want my projects to be "me" even if I have to learn the harder way... I dont think that is being artistic... I think it is being stubborn and disliking criticism... ??
    I know what you mean. I think part of the reason it can be so hard for me to listen to is that I have been looking for an artistic outlet for a long long time. I can't draw or paint, I'm not a particularly snazzy dresser. But I love color, and I was thrilled to find quilting because I feel like its useful, creative and its part of my heritage.
    Old 08-04-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Afton
    Originally Posted by flowerjoy
    I know what you mean. I think part of the reason it can be so hard for me to listen to is that I have been looking for an artistic outlet for a long long time. I can't draw or paint, I'm not a particularly snazzy dresser. But I love color, and I was thrilled to find quilting because I feel like its useful, creative and its part of my heritage.
    Well, wether it is stubborn or whatever... it gives us a healthy artistic, creative outlet... it also helps my confidence to make something aesthetically pleasing... and that is good enough to continue any venture... so hold your head high (I will too) and keep on quilting... you are a quilter!
    Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 AM

I've been quilting for a couple of years just for myself and can't wait to get home from work at night and hide in my quilt room.
    My sister-in-law visited last week and thought I should go into business also. She even took orders for 3 quilts from people she knows (I don't). Now I've noticed that when I get home from work I don't have the burning desire to start quilting right away. I agree with everyone that if it becomes a job its another HAVE TO.
    Old 08-04-2011, 10:25 AM

take the best out of all input - ignore the rest. Don't ever think of comments as criticisms, as in critical, critic, bad words. Critical remarks are just opinions from other people and other people, no matter how close or not they are to you, come with a set of predefined ideas that really are their "baggage". Sometimes people who know nothing of what it takes to "create" anything, quilts - art - music - cakes - happy thoughts - anything, have some of the most petty thoughts to share with you.
    For example, you might have worked like a dog on a 1000 piece quilt, and someone says: "oh, nice, but the colors are wrong." They cant tell you why or how, they just want to share they think your work is "off". Now, on the surface that may feel really harsh to you, BUT- really take a look at the colors. take a black and white picture to see if the values are too close; in black and white everything will be just a blah grey - no lites and darks. Or, check your colors against a color wheel, see if you could have changed a shade here and there. It doesnt take away from your hard work, and allows you to go forward creatively.
    If you take it to heart it will eat at you and make you second guess your creative flow. sharet
    Old 08-04-2011, 10:39 AM

I agree with Nadine - my quilts are not for quilt shows or selling - I refuse to make quilts you cant sit on or drag to the park - they go to those I love to be used and cherished. I quilt because I love it!
    Old 08-04-2011, 10:42 AM

I try to refrain from any negative replies on my part when receiving comments. Depending on whether or not I agree with the advice, I may or may not use the advice. But if I don't agree, it is "out of sight, out of mind".
    Old 08-04-2011, 10:43 AM

Oh yeah -- I love critique, too. But my mother has ALWAYS pushed me to create a business --- to sell my "stuff". I also paint and in the past did stained glass. Well, every time she pushed me, I lost interest.....mainly because it wasn't FUN any more -- it was WORK! some people just don't understand crafters and how they can just do things for fun. Course, mom cleans house for fun and I do NOT understand that!!!! :mrgreen:

Recently I decided to do quilting for others as a business. I didn't say a word to my mother for the longest time -- by the time I mentioned it to her, I already had more customers than I could handle. :mrgreen: But this doesn't feel like work -- It's FUN! :thumbup:
    Old 08-04-2011, 10:47 AM

So I'm a quilting novice, I've made a couple, but hand pieced and quilted, and I wing the patterns for the most part. My family is very encouraging and impressed with my work. But... my dad won't stop insisting that I should turn it into a business and my sister gives lots of "advice."

Do any of you feel your creativity can be stifled by too much input? Do you have an artistic temperament? How do you deal with criticism?
    lol. I think everyone thought I was going to go to some art school and become this famous artist. Turns out I really didn't want to turn my talents into a full-fledged career. My friend's mom had the nerve to tell me that I was just "wasting my talents" by not going to school and kind of judged me in comparison to her daughter, who graduated top of our class and was going to school for some eco-enviromental career (or as my friend calls it "professional treehugger). That really hurt. But if anyone were to make the criticism now I would say, "I don't care. I'm happy just where I am right now".
    Old 08-04-2011, 11:48 AM

So I'm a quilting novice, I've made a couple, but hand pieced and quilted, and I wing the patterns for the most part. My family is very encouraging and impressed with my work. But... my dad won't stop insisting that I should turn it into a business and my sister gives lots of "advice."

Do any of you feel your creativity can be stifled by too much input? Do you have an artistic temperament? How do you deal with criticism?
    I go to a painting group. I have been to sewing groups. I overheard a woman say "what a waste of talent" because I am not selling my stuff.

I just do it for me, for fun. I have no interest in making money from it.

Even my son, 30 yrs old, (thinking he was making a brilliant comment) said, "You could sell those paintings for more than the $50 they charge at Wal-mart!"

ROFL