Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have an "artistic tempermant" about your quilting? >

Do you have an "artistic tempermant" about your quilting?

Do you have an "artistic tempermant" about your quilting?

Old 08-04-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Afton
So I'm a quilting novice, I've made a couple, but hand pieced and quilted, and I wing the patterns for the most part. My family is very encouraging and impressed with my work. But... my dad won't stop insisting that I should turn it into a business and my sister gives lots of "advice."

Do any of you feel your creativity can be stifled by too much input? Do you have an artistic temperament? How do you deal with criticism?
Personally I take it with a grain of salt, smile and keep on doing what I want to do. Once early on in my interior design career, my DH was offering way to much advice and I flat out told him, this was MY Business, and not his. These days I'm so mellow I just listen, nod, and smile. Age does that!!! :-D
Old 08-04-2011, 06:17 AM

Quilting is my hobby and my relaxation. I don't ever want to turn it into a business because then it would be something I had to do not what I want to do.

My husband is the only one in my family that talks to me about my quilting. I am the only one in my family that does anything artistic. It is rather sad because I would love to talk to my sister about my quilting, but we are so different. I have a lot of friends that I talk to about quilting so they are my quilting family.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:28 AM

I like that description "artistic temperament" ... I quilt, paint, crochet & knit for MY OWN PLEASURE. I do love GIVING handmade items because it warms my heart! Any suggestions that I make a business of it go in one ear & out the other! Just me! :)
Old 08-04-2011, 06:56 AM

Anything I try to make is a creative outlet, and therefor artistic. But I guess I do not have too much "artistic temperament" to go along with it. I do it more to feel fulfilled, as an outlet for my creativity. I also do it as a form of therapy for me... and to relieve stress.

Supportive critical advice is welcomed, but unsupportive does stifle my creativity.
As far as people telling you you should start a business... most of the time that is the supreme compliment. It is when they keep pressuring you about it when you feel you are not ready or your craft cannot sell for enough to pay for all the time and materials that went into it that irritations can build. It helps to show those people the math of that. And to smile and try to take it all in stride. Good luck to you!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:01 AM

close my ears !
Old 08-04-2011, 07:01 AM

close my ears !
Old 08-04-2011, 07:24 AM

Yes I definitely have!!! For me, it is hard to take advice from people who don't do what i do. Enough said! When I need advice, I normally ask another who has the same interest as me.

Just a couple of months ago.... I am on a committee for a county-wide celebration and I was asked to make a quilt for a raffle. This was fine until the chairpersn decided she wanted to design it for me. No she didn't quilt, let along sew. After 3 weeks of her daily suggestions, she finally looked me in the eye and said "You really don't want me to say anything, do you?" Ha! Ha!

And then the quilt was made!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:30 AM

I let DH criticize because he has good taste. Sometimes I ask his opinion. He is very supportive although I'm sure he would love my hobby to pay for itself. He shows my work and tells people "I'm sure she'll make you one if you buy the material". Not. If I show something to other quilters I want constructive criticism or positive reinforcement. I appreciate positive comments, but I don't want false praise. But nobody has the right to touch my work in progress, not even the cat!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
When people tell me I should make things to sell... I tell them that as soon as I HAVE to do it, I WONT do it anymore.... there are plenty of things that are on my HAVE to list. I like my quilting to be on my WANT to list. :)

FOr this sis with advice, is she a quilter? If not, I would take it with a grain of salt. :)
Me too. If I have to do it I don't enjoy as much and have a hard time getting myself to sit down and do it. I find once I do sit, I tend to forget time and just keep going but when I stop they I have the same problem starting again. I enjoy doing it for me and my need for an artistic outlet. If it wasn't sewing it would be something else
Old 08-04-2011, 07:43 AM

Here is what I do, I listened to all they have to say, look them right in the eye, say "now that is some thing to think about, thanks for your input" and go do what ever it is I was going to do any way. They only want to know that you HEAR them. If they don't feel like you heard what they wanted to say they will keep repeating it. You on the other hand have no obligation to do anything about what they had to say.