Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
alot of talk about labels- and wanting to sell your quilts-be informed >

alot of talk about labels- and wanting to sell your quilts-be informed

alot of talk about labels- and wanting to sell your quilts-be informed

Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 AM

In a some what related topic I am going to bring up machine embroidery...such as selling designs and items with licensed designs. They do watch for that. I stupidly thought if I bought from e bay I would be ok. Not so. They can go after the buyer also.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:19 AM

I like it!
Old 08-14-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
it is simply a safety issue i thought people wanting to break into the (retail sale) of their crafts should know about-
everyone always takes their chances---
with safety issues, copy right issues, all kinds of stuff---
just trying to pass on information to those who care about doing things ethically (and legally)
You are absolutely right and thank you for reminding all of us. I was in a very small fabric store (a studio in her back yard actually) and she had a home made quilt for sale. There was a label attached, the same kind you would find on a store bought item. I asked her what is was for and the owner said it was the LAW! She said she has to label all her items that are for sale. It makes sense from a safety standpoint.
Glad I don't sell anything but I have friends who bring items to craft fairs who do not attach labels because they do not know.
They should probably look into it.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Thanks for the info. It comes at the right time as I am getting ready to put some of my items for sale at a retail location.

Also sometimes those Feds or other licensed product reps are at shows to see if licensed products are being sold without the proper license. Such as Harley Davidson, Honda, and such. If you don't have the license to sell their products or anything with their logo/label on it, you will be fined and they can take ALL of your product and shut you down!

I encountered that a couple of months ago when selling desk set with NFL fabric. My sister works for a court system in NYC and she informed me that if someone got mad at me and turn me in they could make me pay the money I made from selling stuff made with their fabric. How scary is that?

Something to keep in mind when using some fabrics in your items. Even some fabrics are labeled 'Not for resale", "for personal use only".

QUiltingGrannie
Old 08-14-2011, 06:44 AM

Thank you for the information. I have passed it on to my sister who often sells her items at craft markets and online.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
Just another example of Big Brother watching you. I'm sorry - this just ticks me off as it seems the government (most of who are idiots) is overly concerned with this small stuff as opposed to actually running the country. Ridiculous! Just sayin' .............
I totally disagree with you. The Framers of the Constitution included very specifically a clause to protect inventors, authors, composers and other creative artists from those who would steal their work. It also included a clause giving Congress the power to regulate interstate commerce.

During the 19th century (that's the 1800's), people sent blankets that had been infected with small pox to Indian tribes. When you buy a quilt from a vendor in 2011, it won't be infected with small pox because government at the state and local level got busy in the 20th century and, taking care of the "small" stuff, made people vaccinate their kids.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:49 AM

I was told that by my sister. I make afghans, aprons, tote bags, purses, table runners, etc. Sometimes I put a label and sometimes I forget. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
great, now the feds are coming after Grandma for selling her handmade mittens....lol..
Exactly!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:05 AM

Do these label laws apply to table runners and table toppers?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Didn't know that was a requirement for "hand-made" craft type items.

How does one create such a label and where does one attach it?

Does it have to be a permanently attached label - or can it be a stick-on one?