My humble childhood

Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 AM

Unfortunately, we cannot go back again. We were so lucky to be able to roam free and play outside to our heart's content. It is not just the changes in technology, but the number of people has more than doubled in the US between 1950 and 2010. I know. I know! That means that many more potential quilters!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:26 AM

Up at 6:00 am in the summer to pull weeds, did not know at that time the heat bothered my mom due to MS. Had to use a wringer washer (yep, my hand got caught once), clean our bedrooms and 1 room in the house before we could go play, Usually on our bike that all 3 girls owned. Help cook and do dinner dishes. Never had to lock doors and if you did something wrong the neighbors as well as your parents handled it. Even my next door neighbor (she's 96 now and still my neighbor) spanked me a few times. Never felt abused, as it made me the person I am now.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:45 AM

I also watched Wile E Coyote hit the bottom (hard!!!) or get hit by his own projectiles, rocks, etc., way too many times and was not traumatized by the violence. I always admired his plans & persistence but wondered why he didn't just order in pizza or bulk Spam?
Edit: Forgot to mention that I rode in the back of a hay truck, my dad's work truck and a pickup truck, standing up, (oh the horrors!) and survived just fine.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:06 AM

Were Popeye and Olive Oyl married? or was Sweet Pea a child out of wedlock! Went to High School without air conditioning (still doesn't have it) and couldn't wear shorts because they were too distracting!!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:24 AM

We took turns riding in the back window of the car. If we did not want to go into the place the adults were visiting we just stayed in the car and played. No one thought anything about it. We also dressed up to go to town. Heels, gloves and hat.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:28 AM

"Another one told us to buy WAR BONDS and I think every week I took in a dime for a stamp for a savings book."

"I had the same stamp savings book, but never did know what happened to the money as I never saw it again."

Yeah, what did happen to that money? I never saw it. If we had asked our parents about it when we were kids they would have said they used it for our food and clothes. Have to say it was a good way for kids to learn that you had to save a little something every week.

Did you get an allowance? I didn't, but then the only place I went that cost anything was the movies. We went after dinner on Sunday afternoons, my girlfriends and I and all our younger brothers and sisters.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:31 AM

Were Popeye and Olive Oyl married? or was Sweet Pea a child out of wedlock!

What, you mean they were living in sin!!!! Were they the first hippies? How did we survive being exposed to their lifestyle? LOL!

PS: I have to stop reading this topic or I'll be here all day. Nice to remember some of the good things we had.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by dd
Drinks from the garden hose, lunches with no ice packs, no air conditioning, catching lightening bugs, riding bicycles with no helmet and bare footed, running barefoot in the grass (still do), I'm surprised we survived.
and you know what? if you survived, I think I can too as I've been doing these things my whole childhood, well, with the exception of an air conditioner that worked maybe 2 weeks out of the whole summer and that just meant it was colder air than outside blowing at you.

I still drink from the hose, play frisbee with my brother in the yard barefoot and when it goes across the street, walk barefoot to go get it and I haven't had a helmet that fit since I don't know when!

oh yeah, and brown bag lunchmeat sandwich to school. obviously no ice pack
Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 AM

I was lucky enough to ride in the back of my grandfather's truck - no seatbelts or high sides even - when he delilvered grain to the farmers in the area. I also had lots of clothes made by my Nana and Mom from the grainbags, now called feedsacks, made of fabric that also made great quilts and clothing.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:34 PM

i was forced to eat home made bread and home baked cookies. store-bought was too frivolous! i had to drink milk that came to us from a milk man, who delivered to the door. i was made to eat apples that grew in the back yard, and i was forced (child labor, here) to help make pickles, put up tomatoes, make jam, and freeze fresh corn and lots of other veggies. my mom made me hang out the clothes, and even take them back IN, for heaven's sake. i was barefoot most of the time, and happily rode my bike without a helmet. i played in the neighborhood without a cellphone in my pocket (we didn't even have a private line in our house!), and if my mom wanted me home, she either rang an old handbell out the back door, or hit up the old "triangle", like they had on a chuckwagon. and if i did something wrong, i not only got it from my friends' moms, i got it again from my own!

my heroes rode horses recklessly, shot at each other with guns, never kissed the girl, never took off their shirts or anything else, and when they were done with the task at hand, either sat around a campfire and sang, or rode off into the sunset.

i had to ask permission to turn on the one, only, black-and-white t.v.. i had to ask if i could use the phone. i even had to ask if i could have a snack. when i got a gift, i was required to write a thank you before i could really use it. i was required to change my clothes after school, and could never wear sunday clothes during the week. and on sunday, i was required to wear my "good" clothes all day, and act like a lady.

i'm surprised i survived childhood. but somehow, i managed to live through it. whew. such a burden... and i know oh, so many folks who would have loved to have been so "burdened" when they were young! i'm a lucky lady!!