Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Total despair....have had enough >

Total despair....have had enough

Total despair....have had enough

Old 09-21-2011, 06:26 AM

Only one suggestion - check to make sure the thread is not jumping out of your tension wheel on top. Actually, have another suggestion. Sometimes, and I do not have a Janome, but sometimes the spring in my tension wheel gets hung up. It may have lint buildup that keeps it from moving. Just a thought.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by bonnyh
Only one suggestion - check to make sure the thread is not jumping out of your tension wheel on top. Actually, have another suggestion. Sometimes, and I do not have a Janome, but sometimes the spring in my tension wheel gets hung up. It may have lint buildup that keeps it from moving. Just a thought.
I do have a Janome, and the thread easily gets caught in the tension disks and doesn't run through smoothly or jams completely. In fact I can't use the thicker threads at all.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

It is counter any directions or instructions. I have many vintage machiens and DH kept on telling me some people just free motioned on some machines that the feed dogs don't drop on and that it worked fine. I found I got a way more consistent stitch and less breakage. Besure to set it to mode 2 quilting. It doesn't work as well if you do not. Enjoy!!!!

Oh yes, get a shmetz 90/14 top stitch needle for the quilting. It has a little wide bump to open up the hole it punches and it also has a larger opening for the thread.

Use shmetz 80/12 sharp for piecing. I use Aurafil thread for the bobbin and usually for the top. I find the Janome is the biggest thread snob.

Originally Posted by Little RoO
Oh my goodness....Anna quilts....I have just raised the feed dogs and guess what perfect stitches again and again.....I don't understand why it makes such a difference but I think you might have just saved my sanity.
It is 11.30pm here in the UK and I haven't managed to get it sew properly since 7pm....had tried everything, cleaning...new needle...new bobbin...different threads but never thought to raise the feed....as I said have just tried it and like magic... perfect tension......thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Yes, the Janome is a thread snob. I use aurafil in the bobbin and usually in the top but clear nylon thread in the top works well too.

Originally Posted by annesthreads
Originally Posted by bonnyh
I do have a Janome, and the thread easily gets caught in the tension disks and doesn't run through smoothly or jams completely. In fact I can't use the thicker threads at all.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:15 AM

I have a Janome 6600 and I had similar experience when I began using it. Exactly as you descibe in your free motion quilting. I took it to the shop and the repair man told me to

1) use an open toed free motion "foot"
2) always cut my thread before moving it to begin a new section
3) use "bottom line" thread (its thinner, stronger)
4) leave my feet up

And I've never had problems since (knock on wood)!

I even do my pre-quilting basting using my machine. A FEW pins in, 2" long stitches and I'm done in a matter of minutes (or a bit more if its a queen).

If all the advice you are getting here (and I guess on Yahoo also) doesn't work, get to a good shop (sometimes smaller ones aren't as knowledgable, and I suppose that may just be my experience -- but the ability to brain-storm can only help.

Frankly, I was having some rats-nests issue with my bobbin in regular sewing and since using the bottom line thread I've had no problems.... for about 2 years now. And NO, I don't know anyone from Superior company... I just followed my repairman's advice.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 AM

Oh my goodness....Anna quilts....I have just raised the feed dogs and guess what perfect stitches again and again.....I don't understand why it makes such a difference but I think you might have just saved my sanity.
It is 11.30pm here in the UK and I haven't managed to get it sew properly since 7pm....had tried everything, cleaning...new needle...new bobbin...different threads but never thought to raise the feed....as I said have just tried it and like magic... perfect tension......thank you, thank you, thank you.
I am so pleased that you have sorted it, if you look at Leah Day's site, the FMQ Queen IMO: http://www.daystyledesigns.com/faq.htm#drop she does her FMQ with the feed dogs up and what is good enough for her is good enough for me :thumbup:
Old 09-21-2011, 08:27 AM

You need to go to the dealer where you bought it and if they can't make it work then it needs to go back to the factory for service work. Had mine back 3 times before they figured it out.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:37 AM

Go to the dealer and have them demonstrate on the same machine and write every setting down. Then you actually do it on their machine. If it works fine then you know it is your machine with the problem. Then you can take it in for adjustments.
Truly am on the verge of tears here.......I posted earlier that I am having problems with my Janome 6600.....it sews absolutely beautiful but I cannot get it to FMQ.......sometimes it does the most beautiful FMQ then I stop for a moment ...move to another area and all I get is loose stitches on the bottom as if there is no tension....I haven't changed anything settre the same Mode 2 stitch 11...feet down...tension 5 pressure 1 good thread new needle....so I rethread top and bottom and still a mess......has this happened to anyone else.....I am really fed up with this.....am on the verge of tears here....have spent yet another wasted night trying to sort it.
If it did it all the time would take it back to the dealer but think it must be something I am doing wrong...please help
Old 09-21-2011, 09:07 AM

If you use invisible thread don't use it in the bobbin, use it only in the top. You do need to change the tension when you use it.
I don't have a Janome so can't help you there.
I have trouble with the FMQ foot. I use the embroidery foot.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:51 AM

I really can't thank everyone enough for all the help I have had on this.
I am fairly new to FMQ but have FMQ a couple of quilts using my basic Pfaff so just couldn't understand where I was going wrong but last night I had just about had enough.
Then on the advice of Annaquilts I put the dog feeds up and it is now totally fine....every time...I cannot believe it...and am so delighted.
This board is such a wonderful support ....you have all certainly saved my sanity this week ! Thank you again