Cat teeth cleaning?

Old 09-30-2011, 07:38 PM

Could U post a pic of your Maine Coon Cat?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:29 PM

I had one cat's teeth cleaned and I don't think I will do it again. He was elderly and it was hard on him due to being put under. Might be fine for a younger feller.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by litacats
if the cats teeth need cleaning then that is what should happen they like us can get sore gums from plaque and can get to a point where they may need to have some teeth removed to make life more comfortable for them,
I Give my cats chicken necks to eats as the fine bones clean the teeth and are small enough not to cause problems plus they are full of calcium and we all need calcium. nine years of age is not very old and they only need a light anesthetic to have the teeth cleaned
RAW ONLY !!!! Do not give any animal cooked bones, they become brittle and can cause problems. The raw chicken bones are fine but you may find that your cat won't touch them (mine wouldnt).
Old 09-30-2011, 09:21 PM

The Plaque Attack is great but it is expensive - about $50. However, still a lot cheaper than the vet and no worries about the anesthetic.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by bodie358
Originally Posted by litacats
if the cats teeth need cleaning then that is what should happen they like us can get sore gums from plaque and can get to a point where they may need to have some teeth removed to make life more comfortable for them,
I Give my cats chicken necks to eats as the fine bones clean the teeth and are small enough not to cause problems plus they are full of calcium and we all need calcium. nine years of age is not very old and they only need a light anesthetic to have the teeth cleaned
RAW ONLY !!!! Do not give any animal cooked bones, they become brittle and can cause problems. The raw chicken bones are fine but you may find that your cat won't touch them (mine wouldnt).

If mine don't like the chicken necks I toss them in oil till the skin is cooked but not the bones most cats like cooked chicken and by the time they wake up to them not really being cooked they have eaten them, with kittens I tie a chicken neck to a piece of string and make them play with it, they think it is a great game chasing it and then learn to eat the catch.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:15 AM

The Plaque Attack is great but it is expensive - about $50. However, still a lot cheaper than the vet and no worries about the anesthetic.
I found Plaque Blast at Petsmart for $10, got 2 bottles, you activate it and use on dogs or cats.
It's worth a try. I also found some freeze dried fish chews for cats that helps break up the tarter, stinks - cats seem to like it though.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
I found Plaque Blast at Petsmart for $10, got 2 bottles, you activate it and use on dogs or cats.
It's worth a try. I also found some freeze dried fish chews for cats that helps break up the tarter, stinks - cats seem to like it though.
Are they made by Sargents? The fish chews. My youngest Maine Coon, Rocky, loves the greenies, but he didn't chew them.at first he wouldn't eat the fishy ones. I found some in poultry flavor and he ate those and now he will eat both kinds. Goofy cat. Our Walmart doesn't sell them anymore so I'll have to check Petsmart.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
--------------------------------------
This makes me ask myself just why on earth am I feeding my CATS grains? I'm going to look at their diets closer...no cats I've seen have EVER, in their lives, hunted for grains. It's lots cheaper than meats, but cats evolved eating meats.

!!
Wild carnvores (both feline and canine) eat their prey's stomach and stomach contents which usually contain vegetable matter and grains. So evolution does dictate a certain amount of grains in their diets. Cats use less than dogs. Your general assessment is that grains are used as fillers and cheaper is most assuredly correct. There are good premium foods available on the market that the primary ingredients are protien sources not grain sources. Read the ingredient labels and watch for known deceptive tricks like listing corn then a few ingredients down listing corn gluten. Same if they list chicken first instead of chicken meal. To get chicken in the state it is needed to make kibble by the time they are dehydrating it down it would more than likely be the 5th or 6th ingredient by content. If you can get your cat to eat them, raw chicken neck bones, as litacats mentioned, do wonders for dental care.
Actually, cats usually don't eat the stomach contents, cats are obligate carnivores. Grains can cause issues. Kibble is not a good choice of diet for a cat. Cats also need a lot of water with their food and have a low thirst drive.

My cat developed and almost died of IBD until I learned this and when she changed to a grain free wet food she recovered and lived many more years.

Consider a raw diet already mentioned but if you are uncomfortable with that (understandable) feed grain free canned food. Even the cheap stuff is better than kibble for cats.

Please take a few minutes to read this website:

http://www.catinfo.org/
Old 10-02-2011, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by sewmom
Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Are they made by Sargents? The fish chews. My youngest Maine Coon, Rocky, loves the greenies, but he didn't chew them.at first he wouldn't eat the fishy ones. I found some in poultry flavor and he ate those and now he will eat both kinds. Goofy cat. Our Walmart doesn't sell them anymore so I'll have to check Petsmart.
It is called petrodex daily chews. In the cat section. Petsmart carries the greenies chews for cats too.
Mine both licked these chews, have to check to see if any bites have been taken out yet.
I am wondering if I chop them up? Says to not peel the outer casing
Old 10-02-2011, 05:31 AM

Thanks, I'm going to check those out!