Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does it bother you when a quilt is referred to as a blanket? >
  • Does it bother you when a quilt is referred to as a blanket?

• Does it bother you when a quilt is referred to as a blanket?

Old 10-10-2011, 03:11 AM

I think it is very appropriate for the quilts for Project Linus to be called blankets as in the cartoon, Linus always had his blanket with him...the donated items do include quilts, fleece blankets, crocheted and knitted items....but all are referred to as blankets for this project.

In real life as you are giving someone one of your quilts, you can designate it as a QUILT if you wish, but really, it doesn't matter to me what it is called, as long as it is going to get used and loved.
    Old 10-10-2011, 03:22 AM

Let them think what they want we know they are quilts and we are proud of them
    Old 10-10-2011, 03:35 AM

it doesn't bother me however i do take the time to explain to them that its more than a blanket. i tell them i sew pieces of fabric together in a design and it takes time and dedication to complete a quilt.
    the way i figure, is educate them and maybe it will spread :-)
    Old 10-10-2011, 03:37 AM

Nope. I have a flannel one that I call my "blankie" all the time. It lives on our couch.
    Old 10-10-2011, 03:52 AM

Linus carried a blanket with him. Linus and "blanket: go together so in this case I guess it is only logical that they are called blankets. Also I have more important things to think about, like what pattern am I going to do for my next quilt. So the quilt you do for Project Linus we will call it a "quilt" and they will call it a blanket and everyone is happy.
    Old 10-10-2011, 03:55 AM

In general nope doesn't bother me. But, I make quilts to be used as blankets - they are on beds are on the couch to be used to cover people and keep them warm. Now, if I spent a year working on an art quilt and someone called it a blanket... that might bother me.
    Old 10-10-2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
    I have bigger fish to fry.
    :thumbup:
    Old 10-10-2011, 04:28 AM

I agree with auntpiggylpn - Linus actually carried a blanket, so perhaps they're just keeping in context.
    Old 10-10-2011, 04:35 AM

No it does not bother me when someone refers to my quilt as a blanket. I call the quilts I use to cuddle on the couch....blanket quilts. They are small and cozy like a blanket and not too heavy. The quilts for my bed I call bed quilts because they are the size for my bed. I also have dog quilts. I don't get too bothered by a name. Once they see it people usually say...OH what a beautiful quilt" As for RESPECT....I find that once people see the work one has done on a quilt the respect and such is there. I personally don't care what they call them...just call them...once they see the quilt the OOOS and AHASSSS are enough to cover any mis speak in a name. As far as foreign made quilts you can say the same thing about anything....like the name Q-tip....there are other brands out there that are like the Q-tip but non that are made as good. Anyway...that is my take on it.
    Originally Posted by Janet Espeleta
    I just recently joined Craftsy.com and signed up to get their newsletters. Recently they have been talking about Project Linus, which I think is a great organization. However, the latest newsletter I received referred to the quilts that are donated to Project Linus as "blankets". This really bothers me. I did e-mail their editor Hannah and and requested that she stop doing this. I explained to her that it is difficult enough for quilters to earn the respect of non-quilters due to the influx of foreign made quilts sold in retail stores, but when a major online craft organization also refers to them as blankets it makes it that much harder. How you all feel about this?
    Old 10-10-2011, 04:38 AM

I don't sweat the small stuff. I don't mind what they call them as long as they feel comforted and loved by what I make.
    Some of those children are so sick and it breaks my heart.