Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does it bother you when a quilt is referred to as a blanket? >

Does it bother you when a quilt is referred to as a blanket?

Does it bother you when a quilt is referred to as a blanket?

Old 10-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

[quote=clsurz] ......I'm sure 200 plus years ago ladies that used old fabrics and materials around the house who quilted considered them blankets........a covering to keep family members warm..../quote]

And in Colonial times, the bedcoveriung were often called "rugs"! Now that makes me claustrophobic!

But, does it bother me when quilts are called blankets? Yes, like nails on a blackboard. By the same token, I prefer "fabric, not "material" or, worse, "cloth". But I shudder internally and just move away from the subject.

Jan in VA
Old 10-09-2011, 11:18 AM

Those who make quilts, afghans, etc for Project Linus are referred to as "blanketeers' in Project Linus lingo.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:25 AM

It doesn't bother me. My brother just informed me that my nephew refers to the quilt I made for him as "my Hanna blanket."
Old 10-09-2011, 03:41 PM

Nah, I am not that picky. As long as it keeps people warm and they appreciate the look of it, I really do not care what they call it.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Banned

years ago, the project Linus "Blankets" were just that..donated blankets...
Old 10-09-2011, 03:58 PM

Blanket, quilt, "snuggy-wuggy" - no problem here!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:12 PM

Usually I bristle at quilts being called blankets but in the case of Project Linus it is perfectly appropriate. Please recall the PEANUTS comic strip. One of the on-going shticks was Linus's needy attachment to his security blanket. Neither Lucy nor Grandma nor continuous stealth attacks by Snoopy could separate Linus from that blanket. Project Linus is trying to give children "security blankets" and I think whatever the needlecraft involved they are all "blankets."
Old 10-10-2011, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Janet Espeleta
I just recently joined Craftsy.com and signed up to get their newsletters. Recently they have been talking about Project Linus, which I think is a great organization. However, the latest newsletter I received referred to the quilts that are donated to Project Linus as "blankets". This really bothers me. I did e-mail their editor Hannah and and requested that she stop doing this. I explained to her that it is difficult enough for quilters to earn the respect of non-quilters due to the influx of foreign made quilts sold in retail stores, but when a major online craft organization also refers to them as blankets it makes it that much harder. How you all feel about this?
YES IT SURE DOES MY SISTER'S STEP GRANDCHILDREN DID NOT CALL IT A QUILT THEY CALLED IT COVERS.DIDN'T KNOW WHAT A QUILT WAS MADE US LAUGH AND THEN KINDA SAD AT THE SAME TIME.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:03 AM

With all of the serious issues in the world of children & diseases, I would give this one a pass.
But, when I made a SPECIAL quilt for my husband to console him for the loss of 100+ year old trees during Hurricaine Katrina, and a bit later he asked me to "throw me that rug"!,I came unhinged.
I still tease him, but I haven't forgotten. :mrgreen:
Old 10-10-2011, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
Usually I bristle at quilts being called blankets but in the case of Project Linus it is perfectly appropriate. Please recall the PEANUTS comic strip. One of the on-going shticks was Linus's needy attachment to his security blanket. Neither Lucy nor Grandma nor continuous stealth attacks by Snoopy could separate Linus from that blanket. Project Linus is trying to give children "security blankets" and I think whatever the needlecraft involved they are all "blankets."
I agree with this. Linus has his blanket with him everywhere! Most of the populous associates a blanket with Linus. As long as someone is excited about what I give them, I'm not going to complain. I will, however, gently explain that their new blanket is something special and called a quilt and explain why. I'm a teacher at heart and love to instruct and look at the "aha" moment in someone's eyes.