Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does it bother you when a quilt is referred to as a blanket? >

Does it bother you when a quilt is referred to as a blanket?

Does it bother you when a quilt is referred to as a blanket?

Old 10-09-2011, 07:45 AM

It's a Blanket.
A blanket is:
•A large piece of woven material used as a covering for warmth, especially on a bed.

Is that not what a quilt is? it is woven material made large enough to cover a bed, atleast it is in my house.

Quilt is just a subcatagorazation of a blanket. "Quilt" can be broken down farther to other subcatagorations. Can it not? Is a whole cloth the same as applique? No, but we don't nit pick, it is all willingly grouped together as a "quilt"
I have made:
Crochet Blankets
and
Quilted Blankets

I don't care if it is correctly subcatagorized, to me that is about as important as correcting someone who calls my kettle a teapot.
Realy one should become familiar with the difference between someone insulting thier work, and speaking the language plainly.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:48 AM

All quilts are blankets, but not all blankets are quilts. Project Linus (at least from what I'm familiar with) accepts all handmade blankets - be they quilts, fleece "no-tie" blankets, or knitted/crocheted afghans.

It's a rule of logic. All dogs are mammals, but not all mammals are dogs. All cats are mammals, but not all mammals are cats. Does that make all cats dogs and all dogs cats? Nope. So since all quilts are blankets and all afghans are blankets, that does not make all quilts afghans and all afghans quilts. So blanket would be the appropriate term.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

I really don't care if they call my quilt a blanket. As long as they love it and use it. But I have to say my DGD always calls her quilt a quilt and her blankets blankets. She corrects her friends if they call them the wrong thing. She is 8 and has grown up in my home around quilting
Old 10-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

project linus gives (blankee's) to children!
they do not care if it is an afghan, a quilt, or a (blanket) of some sort- to those children they are all BLANKEE'S that are loved, carried everywhere- used to build forts- and to snuggle with when they need a cozy hug.
don't get all hung up on a term- make quilts- and send them- the children honestly do not care what YOU call them- they will name them over again anyhow...
Old 10-09-2011, 07:52 AM

I knit blankets but make QUILTS!!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Don't you know your Peanuts trivia???
Linus has a BLANKET!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

I have bigger things to worry about like paying bills, cleaning house, keeping the car running, etc... As long as someone enjoys the quilt, I simply don't worry about it.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:02 AM

There is too much important "stuff" in the the world to get upset over or bothered about. Calling a quilt a blanket doesn't even rank on my list.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 AM

IMHO a quilt is a blanket. It also is a covering put on a bed. A blanket is a blanket no matter how it was created.

I'm sure 200 plus years ago ladies that used old fabrics and materials around the house who quilted considered them blankets........a covering to keep family members warm.

I'm sure I'm going to ruffle some feathers with some of you with my comments. If it's put on a bed it does not matter what it is called........blanket, coverlet, quilt, comforter............ whatever........it all serves the save purpose........keep bodies warm at night while one is asleep in the dead of winter with -20 degrees. :twisted:
Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 AM

Yes, I agree--quilts are made by quilters and a blanket is a generic term for a warm covering.