Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Things your familly does for Christmas..year after year >

Things your familly does for Christmas..year after year

Things your familly does for Christmas..year after year

Old 10-10-2011, 08:22 AM

Open 1 gift on Xmas eve, then they slice and dice and peel and chop and WATCH me cook.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:24 AM

We always opened our presents on Christmas eve, after a dinner of oyster stew. As the 3 girls had children they (the children) did not like oyster stew so we added chili to the menu. Then when our aunt retired and moved back to Colorado, being a depression child she would not eat beans and was alergic to fish, we had to add potato soup to the menu. Since my parents and aunt have passed on I started having Christmas eve with just my children and their husbands and we started having fondue. All courses from cheese to chocolate. This year they are getting Italian. We still open presents on Christmas eve. Christmas day we all go to my SIL house and celebrate with his family. I feel blessed that we are still included since my daughter passed four years ago.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:32 AM

I stopped buying gifts and now just donate to the local food bank in our family's name
Old 10-10-2011, 09:27 AM

My grandma started a tradition that I still carry on today and that is to bake a birthday cake for Jesus on C'mas day.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:15 AM

Hahaha, my family has a tradition of various members engaging in a shouting match in the driveway in front of my dad's house. That was an annual tradition - so much so that on the one Christmas we didn't have an argument, it felt incomplete!

:D
Old 10-10-2011, 10:52 AM

You are all so fortunate to have these treasures memories. I wish I had a close family.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:59 AM

raedar63 I love your avatar puppy!!! Is he real??
Old 10-10-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
We got the tangerine in the toe, too. Sadly, my kids don't appreciate or care about it. I've taken to putting a chocolate orange in the toe, the symbolism works for me.

When I was a kid, we were given the option of opening one gift on Christmas Eve. Mom got to pick which present, and it took me a few years to realize that they were always pajamas! Her way of ensuring we all looked decent in the pictures, I guess.
lol same for us too!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:27 AM

We always opened one gift on Christmas eve too - but ours was a book! I like to think it was a clever idea my mom had to get us up into our room and stay there with something to do (whether we slept or not).

Christmas morning was always hanging out at the bottom of the stairs until mom and dad said it was OK. Stockings first, then presents. HOWEVER! We didn't always know which ones we ours. Sometimes my mom just labeled them with numbers or colors or switched names (so mine were labeled my sister's, etc.). It always made it interesting and kept us from shaking the presents too much. :)
Old 10-10-2011, 11:40 AM

When my children were small, my DH would go and pick them up from nursery school and take them to his parents house and eat dinner there. He told them that mom had a faculty meeting and would be late coming home. I would hurry home and get all the decos out and put the tree up. Then I would call my DH and tell him I was finished. He would bring the kids home, unlock the door, and when they entered the tree would be lit and family room decorated. Santa's elves would leave a note saying they would be back with Santa on Christmas eve.The kids would be jumping up and down. Then I would come in from the garage looking like I just got home from school and act so surprised!

This tradition went on for years. Then one year when they were in High School, and I was just too tired to do it all myself, the tree was left out on the patio with a note saying that the elves were running late and we would have to decorate ourselves. This started the new tradition of all of us decorating it together.