Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
As God is My Witness, I Will Never Use Monofilament Thread Again--Oh My Lanta!! >

As God is My Witness, I Will Never Use Monofilament Thread Again--Oh My Lanta!!

As God is My Witness, I Will Never Use Monofilament Thread Again--Oh My Lanta!!

Old 11-07-2011, 06:34 AM

Red face I enjoyed reading your post and learned alot from comments!

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
The way the monofilament is wound, it needs to stand upright. Either put it on a stand or - depending on what type of spool you have, put it in a jar behind the machine and run the thread over the uptake lever. That should take the wrapping problem away.
I have tried monofilament thread and was not happy....but, I will give this tip a try and see if it does me any good! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:07 AM

My machine is ok with MonoF in the top but it just does not work if I put it in the bobbin, too. I always use a 50wt cotton in the bobbin.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 AM

Smile

I've heard that a piece of tubular gauze used for bandaging fingers (available at drug stores) works well to slip over the spool of invisible thread to keep it coming off the spool without getting tangled.

I've used size .004 Sew Art International invisible thread, with a size 80/12 needle, and 50/3 cotton thread in the bobbin to stitch in the ditch without having any tension problems or breaking or tangled thread issues. I used it on my Viking machine with the vertical thread spool holder.

Last edited by Shoofly1; 11-07-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:20 AM

I don't care for monofilament thread and really don't like the idea of it in my quilt.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem View Post
I am not a fan of the mono filament thread either.
Me either. I only use it when I have no other choice.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:46 AM

I can feel your angst! I seem to always have problems with mono thread. I know on some things it can make or break an item but I seem to be the one that breaks!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:10 AM

I've used monofilament for quilting without too many problems. But, once I got the bright idea to use it in the bobbin. Ended up with the thread wrapped around the shaft of the bobbin winder and caught down in the machine. I spent a couple of hours clipping and pulling little plastic threads out of it. THEN somebody told me you have to wind it by hand to use in the bobbin because it stretches. Doesn't matter, I don't think I want to try it in the bobbin ever again.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Have not tried it. Thanks for the great tip.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:32 AM

My sewing table is an older computer desk with a hutch top that has 2 shelves. I put a binder clip on the shelf above my machine and run easy-to-unwind thread thru the binder clip before threading my machine. So the thread goes from the cone or spool up to clip then down to the threading path. Solved my problems!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:34 AM

I often use mono as my bobbin thread when doing wall hangings or table runners etc. It is really helpful when doing fmq and having a lot of color changes in the top thread. It takes some getting-used-to and you have to adjust the bobbin tension a bit. You also might need to fiddle with the bobbin winder you use -- some wind very tight and it causes the mono to break. It took me awhile to get up the courage to try it in the bobbin but it's been a real time-saver for me and also makes the appearance of the back of these small pieces more "uniform". I doubt I'd use it for a bed quilt or anything you'd want to "cuddle" with -- or for a kid's quilt, however.