Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron question >

Iron question

Iron question

Old 06-23-2012, 05:22 AM

I bought a Bernina iron about 18 years ago and its still going strong. When I purchased it I think it was about $100.00. I do use cheap irons also depending what I'm doing.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I currently have the Rowenta Professional. I personally love it! There have been many complaints on QB about the Rowentas leaking. I haven't had that issue and my Rowenta has been knocked off my ironing board more times than I can count. I have a cat who uses the ironing board as a spring board! I only got the Rowenta because I got a fantastic deal on it. I found it at Hancock Fabrics on clearance and then they were having a special for 50% off all clearance. I like the weight of it and it just glides over the fabrics. That being said, if and when my Rowenta dies, I will definately look at the Reliable brand of irons. https://www.google.com/search?source...llllll0&aqi=s1 There have been many positive reviews on these irons.
I have the Rowenta Professional also. Bought one for me and one for my MIL. Hers is fine, mine leaks so much I can't use it anymore. I left the iron laying flat with water in it (not plugged in), came back about 2 hours later and ALL the water had leaked out, soaking my ironing board and the floor! The first Rowenta I owned lasted 10 years, no problems, but the Professional lasted 8 months. I now use a $27 Shark and I love it. I have had it about 9 months and no problems yet. I will never buy an expensive iron again.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:53 AM

My opinion after using them all is go to where ever and but the cheapest iron possible. Love the Rowenta irons but where I live their just toooooo expensive. Just make sure they have a nice point. I bought my last one at Walmart 4 years ago for $10 and it's been great.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:04 AM

I have a Panasonic iron that I purchased years ago, and it is still working fine. It has fallen to the floor many times, and it still works just fine. Just my two cents.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:35 AM

I love my Rowenta, but also love my cheapy Black and Decker from Wal Mart and the one I paid $5 for at an estate sale. None of the three have leaked except when I tried to iron with them before the water in them had time to get hot. I always empty mine before putting them away. My Rowenta was made in Germany and according to what has been posted on the board, that seems to make a difference. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I currently have the Rowenta Professional. I personally love it! There have been many complaints on QB about the Rowentas leaking. I haven't had that issue and my Rowenta has been knocked off my ironing board more times than I can count. I have a cat who uses the ironing board as a spring board! I only got the Rowenta because I got a fantastic deal on it. I found it at Hancock Fabrics on clearance and then they were having a special for 50% off all clearance. I like the weight of it and it just glides over the fabrics. That being said, if and when my Rowenta dies, I will definately look at the Reliable brand of irons. https://www.google.com/search?source...llllll0&aqi=s1 There have been many positive reviews on these irons.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:37 AM

I have found the German (check the iron - it states where it's made) Rowentas are the best. They're heavier, but work well.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Val in IN View Post
There are 2 types of Rowenta irons. The original (and BEST) is the Rowenta made in Germany. The ones that leak and cause problems are the ones made in China. Check where the iron is made before you purchase a Rowenta. Personally, I had one for about 5 or 6 years and finally gave it to my sister because she liked it so much. It was made in Germany and she still has it. It's about 11 or 12 years old now and is still working fine. I replaced that one with the Professional model, also made in Germany and I have had it for at least 5 or 6 years. Still working just fine. I bought a real cheapie iron to take to classes so I have the best of both worlds. It's all in where the Rowenta's are made.
Thanks for this info. This is my 2nd Rowenta and while I love how it irons, and love to use steam, it started leaking a couple of months ago. If I decide to go with another Rowenta, I'll definitely make sure it's made in Germany.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:04 AM

I bought a Shark. I have no complaints. It is fairly light weight. It has auto shutoff, which I need. I got it about six months ago. So far, so good. I don't like to pay a BIIIGG price for one so if I drop it or it tears up I throw it away and get another one.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:25 AM

I bought an inexpensive one at Walmart and it's worked fine for two years so far.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:26 PM

I bought a Sunbeam at Big Lots for $10. I use it a LOT! I've had it for about 2 years. This is after going through 3 Rowentas within a year and a half. I use the one I have every day-steam or not-and have not had one leak with it. My cat also uses my ironing board in her acrobatic act, and it has hit the floor more times than I care to think about. It has a 20 minute shut off, and that works for me.