Coping with the heat

Old 07-06-2012, 06:47 PM

I hang quilts across the back windows where the sun hits the most. There are mini blinds in the window, but they don't keep all the heat out, so I hang the quilts. It really makes a difference.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:53 AM

We live in Indiana and it feels like Arizona right now. It was 5:30 am when I opened the door and it was still like a blast furnace. We moved Mom from NY yesterday and she does not believe me when I say this is way beyond normal. Everything is brown and we are going to lose more trees this year.

I want rain and cooling winds. (Not tornados though.)

Good time to stay inside in front of the fan and stitch.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:21 AM

tesspug; that sounds like us! Except we head south in the winter in the RV. This year we are thinking maybe full time is the answer....north in the summer and south in the winter.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:08 AM

I feel so sorry for everyone coping with the heat and humidity. We are used to high temps in AZ, but when I didn't want to pay the high electric bill for keeping the house cool, I would go anywhere that was air conditioned...the mall, the library, the movies. Hang in there, this heat wave won't last forever. It will just seem like it!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:13 AM

Hee-hee. It's unusually hot here on the mountaintop, where there used to be summer resorts to escape the city heat in the old days, so we loaded up yesterday and drove down a couple of thousand feet for lunch and a one-store shopping excursion. It was 101 there and when we returned to 93 degrees it felt cool by comparison.

If gas prices were lower we'd just drive around in air-conditioned car 24-7.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:02 AM

111 degrees yesterday here in Tennessee-Hope everyone is cooler than that-Walked at 6:00A.M-stayed indoors the rest of the day with air conditioning on-Coooooool even at thermostat at 78-Enjoy-relief in next week they say.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
In the old days, my mother would run a fan across a tub that contained a large block of ice (from the ice truck that used to cruise the streets). Not sure where you can get an ice block these days, but I remember that it did help. Maybe dump a couple of bags of purchased ice cubes in a plastic tub?

After the ice melts, you can sit with your feet in the cold water.
Safeway has block or crushed ice in the ice cooler. Most have the big block on one side. When the AC went out in AZ and they couldn't get out for a week to fix. I was out of town, but my mom was at my house. Told her to do the ice (ice maker in frig), but to also put a small amt of water in the bottom of the pan. I also had her put scarfs (for the dogs), in the freezer after they got wet. At first the dogs not sure of this, but when they found out how cool it was they feel in love with it. Now when they go outside when it's HOT!, they want the cold scarfs!!!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:08 AM

I just keep telling myself that I waited all winter for the warmth of summer to arrive. Today is SUPPOSE to be the last day of the 100's here.This weeks high is forecasted as 87.We've been as high as 111 in the shade and lucky me I'm having hot flashes.I keep a couple wet hand towels in the freezer and swap them out as needed
Old 07-07-2012, 08:00 AM

When I lived in the mountains of NC, a friend made quilted panels for every window to conserve heat at night. I don't see why a quilted panel to keep the sun out wouldn't work as well. I put a sheet over the windows on my sun porch during part of the day to keep the sun out, then open them as the sun moves around the side and away from the porch. It helps.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Hot here too! and tomorrow is to be worse.
Another one without a/c ... other than in my truck.

And there have been times in past years when I got SO hot, that I went for a drive in my truck, even though I had no reason to go!!

Thankfully the saving grace this time round, has been that the night have cooled, and I too open the windows and get some of that cooler air in. However, it's not looking so promising for that tonight.

I have been thinking of buying some insulation batting fabric that I saw last year ... and then quilting on a pretty piece of fabric to hang in my windows where I do not have blinds. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I helped my daughter make blinds for her windows in her house. We didn't use the insulating batting fabric for them as she didn't want the house that dark. We just fused two fabrics together the size of the windows. But they still helped the rooms stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Saved some on the electric bill. I'd say go for it.