Coping with the heat

Old 07-07-2012, 08:43 AM

I was telling my son about how we used to take car rides just to cool off because we had no AC. Can't afford to do that now.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:24 PM

I just hide indoors all day. When I go to work i hold my breath between the building and the car. Can't wait until i get home at night and have a Brandy slush! Doing a lot of projects in the basement.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:43 PM

I have been thinking of buying some insulation batting fabric that I saw last year ... and then quilting on a pretty piece of fabric to hang in my windows where I do not have blinds. Anyone have any thoughts on this?[/QUOTE]
---------------------------------------------------
Marvelous idea. I did that years ago, put quilt batting behind the drapes, then the blinds. And since we live in the
central valley of California (think DESERT heat) I also put split bamboo shades over the windows in summer. And in
the back bedroom, that faces East, I put a layer of large bubble wrap on the sliding door with double sticky tape. This is on the glass that does not move. Then there's the shade from the overhang and that room is comfy at night. Also I have a rotating fan for really hot summer nights, but haven't had to use it this last few years.
Then there are our lovely trees that give shade from the hottest mid day and later sun, they help a lot. We started many years ago putting wires between house and garage, then in summer adding shades of split bamboo and plastic on them. Shade is cool to sit in then. Vines that covers and shades porches, I remember them from childhood in my old West Virginia home. Lovely place to sit and watch the lightening bugs flicker on and off.

Then there's the sheet of plastic that you tape to the inside of the window. It has a reflective side that will keep out
a lot of the heat. Used together, these really do help. And I'm sure that others on this forum will have lots of brand new ideas to share with all of us.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:03 PM

When I was growing up we didn't have AC. We used to use old bed sheets soaked in cold water, rung out and hung in front of fans. Maybe it worked because I was young, but it did seem to make a difference.

No power; open windows and hang the sheets on the inside and hope for a breeze.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
OOH! I would like to see 80. It is in the 90's when we go to bed. Got AC's running all the time. I can't stand the heat. It is so dry and hot here, Our tomatoes died and we're not allowed to water when we want. We can water on Thurs and Sun.
Could you fill some jugs, on Thurs and Sun, to use for watering on other days?
Old 07-09-2012, 12:56 PM

We live in the Mojave (California) desert, so we're used to this heat. It is supposed to be 107 today and 110 by Wednesday. Then it will stay above 100 probably through September. By the first of October you are wondering if it will EVER get cool again. Luckily we have swamp cooling so it adds moisture along with the cool air. However, the swamp cooler only cools it down 20% or so. I also have refrigeration in my house, but the cost is prohibitive. Right now it is getting down to 70 degrees by about 5:00 am.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Theodora View Post
Fans! Fans! Fans!
On the ceiling, on the floor,
get one now, then get some more!

(Sorry, Dr. Seuss)
And put a container of Ice behind them, it cools down the air. The other good tip is to run cold water over the inside of you wrists, this is where the main blood arteries are so it cools down the whole of your body.

And yet another tip is to keep a flannel in a mixture of cold water and vinegar in the fridge and wipe yourself down, especially at the back of the neck etc.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
///////And yet another tip is to keep a flannel in a mixture of cold water and vinegar in the fridge and wipe yourself down, especially at the back of the neck etc.
........ and smell like a pickle?

What significance is the vinegar?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
........ and smell like a pickle?

What significance is the vinegar?
Maybe the vinegar smells keeps the sweaty but still frisky significant other away????? Hmmm....
Old 07-12-2012, 05:39 PM

It is finally a little cooler here---upper 90's. We had over a week of temps over 103. One day it was 111.9. Add about 10 degrees for the heat index (humidity) and it was HOT! I just stayed in the a/c and worked on my quilt. I have several small quilts ready for quilting, but it is too hot to wrestle with them, so they will have to wait for cooler weather.