Coping with the heat

Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 AM

its 99 today in central Texas, a/c is a wonderous invention. When we moved here 18 years ago, our house had no a/c.
DH tried to convince me that it wasn't needed as he never had it when he was a child living here. We had sandwiches for every meal and a salad, going on strike helps sometimes. lol
He put the wiring in about 2 weeks later and bought several window units.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:19 PM

For those without AC, a cool shower or soak in a cool bath will help. Or even putting your feet in a cool pan of water and a cold rag around your neck .
Old 07-06-2012, 12:35 PM

We have such long, cold winters, I don't complain about the heat! We don't get anything too extreme here. Our house is on the lake so when it is hot we just dip right in.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:05 PM

Our A/C unit quit working on June 28 and we couldn't get a new one installed until July 3rd. We left the doors open at night so that we could sleep but the heat inside the house was over 20 degrees hotter than the outside temperature. Sleep was impossible. My hubby was asked to be a witness in a court case and I went with him and sat outside the courtroom just to be in some a/c air. Finally we got the new3 unit installed and now have A/C. Even the pups were suffering from the heat. They didn't want to hunt lizards as they usually do if they are in side in a/c air. I hope the heat breaks soon for all in this heat period.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:40 PM

I hate the heat! We keep the AC on 24/7 and I still burn up. My mom freezes, she has a jacket on now! I loved summertime when I was younger, but now it could stay winter year round left up to me!
Old 07-06-2012, 04:58 PM

I do feel for you folks whose power is out. What a horrible time to have to deal with that! Hopefully, they will get the rest of you on line, or back on line real soon. We are sending cool thoughts your way.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:19 PM

After four nights without electricity, I convinced my hubby to take me out of WV to NH where we really don't need the AC. A good trick to cool off is to put a damp cloth around your neck.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:33 PM

We do things early morning or after supper/dinner hr at night because it is to hot down here in Fl. we stay in the ac unless we go in the pool and not in the afternoon and also have fans. Dress in cool clothes if possible. Don't eat to heavy a meal better to eat small meals and snacks for easier digestion. Maybe you'll get a cool front soon. Try to take it easier and stay well hydrated for sure. Thinking of you. Take care. Sue
Old 07-06-2012, 05:56 PM

We are baking here in central IN! We do not have central air in our farmhouse (no duct work for it) but we do have a big window unit downstairs and another upstairs. The upstairs is still pretty warm. We keep the blinds/drapes closed during the day and that does help a little bit. I go out at dark and water my flower baskets and try not to do much running around during the day. Sure hope this heat goes away pretty soon and that we will get some much needed rain. DS farms our farm and his crops are not looking good at all. Really hate that for any farmer but it is even harder when it is one's own son.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:42 PM

I am in my car from 10:00 AM until 5:00 PM, My little car has over three hundred ten thousand miles on it, and I pray every day that my a/c will work, it was up to 93 today here, it is really hot for me as I have to wear a back brace, so I have to wear two shirts, first shirt, back brace, then second shirt, sure wish I could afford to buy a new car, but it is what it is.