Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My experience with Glue Basting. >

My experience with Glue Basting.

My experience with Glue Basting.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:11 PM

I'm with you on the glue sticks. Have tried several times, but it just seems to "crumble" and make a mess. One hint is to get the smallest bottle of Elmer's and open the top a very little to get tiny drops. I then refill it from a larger, cheaper bottle.

Originally Posted by Chicca View Post
I am so glad I posted; really gaining a lot of knowledge and having a great time responding. I will definetely have to retry the glue sticks and definetely will be stocking up on both to last throughout the year. Hopefully....wonder how many bottles/sticks I will need for an entire year?

Thank all of you for responding!!! This is so fun and informative.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Time to stock up on School glue and glue sticks. Walmart has the school supplies out. Glue sticks are .10 each and bottle school glue is .50. I buy a lot of the Fiskars blunt tip and sharp tip school scissors to keep laying around all over my sewing room on my cutting table, sewing machine table, and ironing board. They are great for thread snipping, no fear of snipping a hole in the fabric with the blunt tip. Also plastic school boxes are super cheap now.
Never thought of buying the blunt scissors in the school sale....guess its because my daughter is getting her Masters Degree and I just do not shop with her for school supplies like the good old days. LOL. Thanks for the reminders.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC View Post
I've done the glue basting and for applique for years, but would you believe I've never used it for sewing pieces!
Like you, I used it with applique but it took me awhile before I got up the nerve to experiment with the binding and the quilt basting; just learning new things every day and then awhile longer to actually try it on other projects.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Now that's a great ideas! Do use the Elmer's for lining up seams and bindings and such but never thought to "baste" a quilt for quilting! Love spray but found out with a huge King size that the backing must have been polyester and the spray did NOT work at all!
I have had that experience with the spray not working well. Thats why I tried the glue basting on a small project and really liked the results.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
I'm with you on the glue sticks. Have tried several times, but it just seems to "crumble" and make a mess. One hint is to get the smallest bottle of Elmer's and open the top a very little to get tiny drops. I then refill it from a larger, cheaper bottle.
The bottle I am using right now is medium sized and I did not have any trouble with it coming out tiny. One of these times, I want to invest in one of the special tips....but until then; I do the best I can and in reality rarely have any issues.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

That is a great idea, going to have to try it.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Peg View Post
That is a great idea, going to have to try it.
I really hope that you enjoy it and find it as easy as I do.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:21 PM

I use the glue sticks on the binding....sew first side, flip, spread glue and press binding down exactly where I want it, then iron. It holds the binding perfectly until sewn (I sew entire binding process by machine). I might get a bit messy on the quilt, but since I always wash after binding is done, it always washes out. I've also tried the liquid glue on the bindings, but like the sticks much better - I can zip that glue stick across the quilt so much faster than liquid and it requires less ironing time. But, this is just my honest opinion.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I use the glue sticks on the binding....sew first side, flip, spread glue and press binding down exactly where I want it, then iron. It holds the binding perfectly until sewn (I sew entire binding process by machine). I might get a bit messy on the quilt, but since I always wash after binding is done, it always washes out. I've also tried the liquid glue on the bindings, but like the sticks much better - I can zip that glue stick across the quilt so much faster than liquid and it requires less ironing time. But, this is just my honest opinion.
That is one of the things I enjoy about the posts...everyone has an opinion and a specific way that they like to do things. Yet sharing our ideas, tips and techniques helps each and every one of us. For instance, using the glue stick to run along the binding is something I had never thought of trying. It sounds as if it is easier and faster than using the liquid glue. Another technique I will have to remember to try and see if I like it.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Even though I'm a person that presses seams open I would be willing to use this method on some of those difficult seams that always seem to go askew.