Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Adding to stash question >

Adding to stash question

Adding to stash question

Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by mucky View Post
Just keep buying for projects and your stash will build. I used to buy for my stash and now have far too much and most of it will never be used. Plus fabric does go out of date and style. There will always be sales and the money I have wasted in unused fabric would easily pay for price increases.
Agree. Your tastes will probably change, too. I'm now trying to use up stash and it's amazing how many quilts I've made just trying to use fabric and the stash does not look any smaller!! And I don't consider my stash very large, in comparision to some other quilters.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
If I really liked a fabric, I use to buy 3 yards. However, I have a decent sized stash and I don't pull from it as much as I would like. Generally, when I find a quilt I want to make, I end up buying new fabric as I can't seem to find the just right fabric in my stash. Also, my taste has changed over the years. Therefore, I would caution you from buying too much for your stash. However, by all means buy the ones that you just love.
I am with LFLETCHER. I can never seem to find "right " fabric in my stash so I end up buying more fabric. That said- I buy all fabric to make the quilt pattern. I have all fabric/patterns to make about 10 quilts. Unfortunately I keep finding pattern that I like so my to make quilts stash keeps growing.

Also consider what kind of quilts that you like to make. I prefer quilts with repeating blocks and florals. I am not really drawn to scappy quilts so my stash and scraps are not always used.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
If I really liked a fabric, I use to buy 3 yards. However, I have a decent sized stash and I don't pull from it as much as I would like. Generally, when I find a quilt I want to make, I end up buying new fabric as I can't seem to find the just right fabric in my stash. Also, my taste has changed over the years. Therefore, I would caution you from buying too much for your stash. However, by all means buy the ones that you just love.
I have also found that my taste in fabrics has changed over time so I have been using some of those as backing on current projucts. Maybe I should limit myself to going to: 1st in to 1st out rule ))
Old 12-08-2012, 07:00 AM

Usually purchase for project in mind. I always buy more than stated and I rarely buy fat quarters as I find few patterns which require 1 fat quarter a 1/4 yd is more useful. Don't forget if you want red the red in the stash will not be the correct shade . Always an excuse to go shopping. It i think also depends on your location and weather conditions do you need a collect because you will be blocked in or distance too far. These would be my main concern. I have just organised a delivery of fabric for me to use over Christmas when shops will be closed for a week.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:47 AM

Where do you find fabric for $3.00 yard?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I usually buy fat quarters as they build a stash. If the price is really right I will buy an yard or more at a time. Once the front is together I start searching for the backing and binding
Old 12-08-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by jaly3162 View Post
Where do you find fabric for $3.00 yard?
Connecting Threads is having a sale right now and a lot of it is $2.96/yd.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:16 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Happy Tails View Post
OMG Woman..........just RUN!!!!!!!! don't listen to anybody, these people (of course not me) all escaped from the pscyo ward!!!!!!!!!! Take my advise and only buy as you need...there are worms in every single piece of not needed fabric that get in your skin and make you buy buy buy and before you know it, you've outgrown your little fabric spot, causing you to go buy a cabinet, the worm keeps growing and you buy 2 cabinets, 3, 4 5 6 and omg you have enough fabric to cover a small town!!!! then you need to get an entire room to house all these cabinets, because they just don't fit with all your sewing machines, cutting area and whatever......God help the guest who comes to stay overnight, but they will be able to slither through the cracks and get to the bed....oh wait, there's fabric there too, oh well, at least they have a place to sleep......just buy as you need!!! Wendy
Now THAT is hysterical!!! Such a mental picture I got of the poor houseguest, almost like the Princess and the Pea bed! Wendy, you're too funny! (Isn't that ridiculous....how can you be too funny? Or too rich? or too thin? Or have too many sewing machines?....Or...)

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails 20110921_fabric-shoot_0002edit.jpg   4984446676_27b35f8bc8.jpg   fabric-bed.jpg   sewing-room-before.jpg  

Last edited by Jan in VA; 12-08-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:32 AM

LOLOL Jan, I'm so happy YOU found my humor, I thought maybe I caused everybody to faint!!!!! LOL Thank you for your humor tool.....and I'll take tooo rich and tooooo thin anyday.....
Old 12-09-2012, 03:33 AM

Oh and PS...Jan that's what my spare bed looks like right now, lol I'll stay at your place and you can come and stay here, least we'll both feel at home ....