Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ-For what it' worth. >

FMQ-For what it' worth.

FMQ-For what it' worth.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:54 AM

I've been doing longarm quilting for about a year and a half to 2 years now. Mine is not perfect, I do what I like to do. I like to do bed quilts, something that looks warm and comfortable. I've done about 6 of them now and then some small ones. Right now I'm just about done quilting a double wedding room quilt that I sewed together. I don't try to fill every empty space, I like mine to be soft (my bed quilts). I started it because I wanted to do it and just charged in. I found that is the way I tend to be. If you really want to do something very bad, just do it, it works for me. I didn't take any classes except what was on-line.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:43 AM
Swap Hosts

I started FMQing way before I knew how. Talk about not perfect! I didn't even have the right foot or know about dropping feed dogs. But as years when by I learned. Then I found the Leah Day project. What a great place to start if you don't want to do Craftsy -- which I did sign up for but haven't done yet. It's fun, but like Leah Day, I tend to get bored midway through a project.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:53 AM

I took a class at my LQS a week or so ago on FMQ on your home sewing machine and learned so much. I have used the LA at LQS a few times which helped. I am working on a quilt for my oldest grandson, he was born on my birthday almost 21 yrs ago and will try if then. That is if the quilt is not to big.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:00 AM

These threads have made me feel more like diggin in and going for it. I too am afraid of messing up. I seen a quilt the other day in my LQS and it wasn't perfect either. It had some machine quilting done on blocks and several of the blosks were crooked, lol I thought at the time that looks like something I could do. It made me feel better though seeing others mistakes. I am my worst critic. I am going to staret on a small top I have done, not pretty but it will work for practice. When I feel like I am ready I am going to quilt my Christmas Quilt. I so want to do this. I hope all has a wonderful Easter.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:36 AM

[QUOTE=Grannyh67;5950408]These threads have made me feel more like diggin in and going for it. I too am afraid of messing up. I seen a quilt the other day in my LQS and it wasn't perfect either. It had some machine quilting done on blocks and several of the blosks were crooked, lol I thought at the time that looks like something I could do. It made me feel better though seeing others mistakes. QUOTE]
One of the things that encouraged me to abandon the quest for perfection was going to an exhibition of vintage quilts at the Quilt Museum in York (UK). Several of those quilts, being looked at with such reverence by visitors, had quite noticeable "errors" - wobbly quilting, points that were far from perfect, lopsided blocks etc etc - but they were still beautiful, still on display for us to enjoy. I don't think anyone other than ourselves and other quilters notices our mistakes - to most people, to make a quilt seems miraculous! I slowly learned to forgive myself the lack of perfection in both piecing and quilting, and if another quilter doesn't approve, that's their problem, not mine. I do take great pleasure in knowing that I've made a quilt as well as I can, but not to the point of it becoming stressful rather than a pleasure to make.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:26 AM

It's worth a lot because it's coming from someone who conquered her fear. Congratulations! That isn't easy and it's a wonderful feeling. Enjoy your new sense of freedom.
Just look at all the people you have inspired.

Last edited by bobquilt3; 03-24-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:13 AM

Joy is right name your mistakes as your own unique stitch!!! I practice on charity quilts and make quilt sandwiches that I turn into potholders, placemats and hotpads. With all that practice even my daughter says I am improving my FMQ skills.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:58 AM

you may want to check youtube for some machine quilting ideas & tips. lots of videos there. also, I find doodling on paper helps so much before i take it to my machine. with a long arm you move the machine with your domestic you move the fabic but the movement is basically the same. doodle feathers until you feel you are ready for a practice run. they start out lopsided but end up looking good by the time you fill in everything else. placemats are a wonderful thing to quilt for practice.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:40 PM

You are right on! I know exactly how you felt and also took to Craftsy class. She is a great teacher. I did want to tell you that I do a lot of FMQ practicing on my charity quilts. I figure the little children do not know the difference as to quality and it is more fun than just practicing on a piece of fabric. Betty in IL
Old 03-24-2013, 06:32 PM

Good for you! I'm taking classes on Craftsy also and I'm learning a lot. I'm far from being a great fmq-er. but I'm getting better and having fun. I told DH that I AM going to learn to fmq. I'm not going to let it beat me---even though it is putting up a heck of a fight! lol