Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting....wish I had looked here first >

Hand Quilting....wish I had looked here first

Hand Quilting....wish I had looked here first

Old 09-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Banned

Why make it hard on yourself. The W and N is difficult to quilt regardless of the skill of the quiltmaker. Change the batting. As to needles. Just remember that most all needles (in my opinion and knowledge) come from the same company. The ones you are thinking about may be the same as a general brand of needles. Just because it has a "name" on it doesn't make it any better than another. Colonial Needle Company makes most of the needles sold but just under different names. I once talked to the owner of the company about a "designer name" packaged needle and he told me - 'oh that is our regular Colonial Needle just packaged under another name".
However, your biggest problem is the batting. My suggestion is to change it. I believe you will be happier with the results. Another quilter that I talked with recently said 'oh I buy them by the bulk and repackage the needles".
Old 09-30-2013, 03:11 PM

I am a hand quilter (only 2 quilts) and have always used Warm & Natural---guess I didn't know any better.
Your quilt is beautiful!!! I would persevere! I am sure that the seams are a pain but it is sooo gorgeous. Don't stop....you can do this!

I use Sharps when I quilt and a wonderful leather thimble with a metal circle in it...I have chubby hands and LOVE that thimble. It is the only one that fits and doesn't hurt.

I am learning---Why is W & N not good for handquilting???

Last edited by sailsablazin; 09-30-2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: wanted to add more information
Old 09-30-2013, 03:20 PM

I would suggest trying the "stab stitch" method and see if it will work for you. It does not seem to matter what batting you use then.

Thats the only way I've been able to get nice relatively even small stitches. I can get fairly even but pretty large stitches otherwise.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:27 PM

I only hand quilt and I always use Quilter's Dream Request batt. Love it! I use a very short needle, though. Seems that the shorter the needle the shorter the stitch!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
warm & natural is definitely not a great choice for hand quilting- even without all the seams it is difficult to stitch through- I also prefer a longer needle when hand quilting and generally choose a 'sharp' in the size appropriate for the thread I am using. hobbs 80/20 is a nice batting for hand quilting. if you are a long way into your project you may want to keep struggling along but if you have not gone too far it may be a good choice to switch the batting. avoid battings with 'scrim' for hand quilting projects. better to start over than put it aside & never finish it. it is beautiful.
I agree with CKCOWL the hobbs 80/20 is really nice for hand quilting. It really is beautiful I hope you do finish it.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:21 PM

You guys are awesome. After reading everyone's feedback, I:

-did not change the batting.
-have worked on my HQ a few times now, concentrating on paying close attention to when it is difficult.
-have gone back to the short between needle, it does not bend so I feel I have better control.
-have decided it really is the seams that are making things hard.
-have also decided that having a couple stitches on the needle and then crossing a seam before pulling the needle through is the best method for me.

I am getting much more consistent results. Thank you all for all the encouragement.

Question: How do you count stitches per inch? Do you count only the stitches on top, that you can see? Or, do you count both the stitches on the top and on the bottom?

Last edited by Suze9395; 09-30-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Banned

Either way to count is ok. What you see or what you see and don't see is correct. The important thing is to ask the person who might ask the question how they count stitches and then answer accordingly.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:17 PM

I've hand quilted many quilts and only used warm and natural with no issues. I use size 10 James needles. Sorry your having issues
Old 10-01-2013, 12:41 AM

How long did that take . The patience is amazing and the quilt is beautiful.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:18 AM

I love your quilt. And I love to hand quilt. Have quilted about 100 quilts. My criteria for quilting small even stitches is thin batting, thin between needles, and good thread, I love Aurefil brand. If I quilt in a frame, I use a rocking stitch a needle below and a needle above. If lap quilting, I usually stab stitch with only one needle. Using basting spray to sandwich quilt is so easy and saves time. I read to load needle with as many stitches as comfortable and pull through and at encountering seams that are difficult stitch one stitch at a time vertically through the seam and this sh result in nice small stitching. However you do it, find your comfort level and stitch merrily on.