Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you decide what to do with your fabric ? >
  • How do you decide what to do with your fabric ?

• How do you decide what to do with your fabric ?

Old 10-26-2013, 04:51 PM

I'm with Linda. I buy fabrics I really love and then sooner or later I find a pattern that is just perfect for them. Of course, this method can lead to having fabrics around for years waiting for the perfect project to use them, but I'm patient.
    Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 AM

For years I bought fabric just because I loved it. As a result, I have a huge stash and may never use it all but I still love most of it and it makes me happy to find a new design in which I can use up three or four old favorites. Now, having said that, I think that buying fabric as you need it for a specific project is a much more sensible approach, much more economical and saves having to find a place to store all that. Any quilt will work as a Christmas quilt--Dresden plates are pretty, any scrappy type quilt. Just pick something you really want to make and make it up in Christmas fabrics.
    Old 10-28-2013, 11:12 AM

I seldom go out and purchase fabric for a quilt. Its notin my budget to buy yardage a lot,I buy smaller pieces I like here and there,then I try to choose a pattern that would use what I have on hands.It's funfor me.
    Old 11-16-2013, 05:44 PM

One year for Christmas I made all the women in the family Christmas placemats, It was appreciated, I don't know about you all but I would rather receive handmade placemats than store bought ones any day. I buy my Christmas fabric after Christmas sales to use for the following year. You have all year to come up with ideas and get stuff finished for the coming year.
    Old 11-17-2013, 06:53 AM

Any pattern turned into a Christmas Scrappy item would be lovely. You can also make small items like tea towels, pot holders, mug rugs, Christmas ornaments. Probably the only difficulty you might have is mixing some of the newer pinks/lime green Chrismas with traditional red/green Christmas. But you never know till you cut into that stash and go for it.