Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Encouragement >
  • Encouragement

• Encouragement

Old 11-08-2013, 09:21 AM

OOPS, I meant Amazon.
    Old 11-08-2013, 10:20 AM

I started quilting on a $189 Singer and put 100,000 miles on that machine. I used a Bernina after a few years at a class and knew I wanted one but had to wait several years before I could afford it. I've never been sorry I bought a Bernina but I would have never been in the position to really use it well without the many years I sewed on my Singer. You use what you can afford and be proud of what you create - that's what true quilters do.

Have your wife join us on this board - she'll see it's not about the equipment but about what you do with it. And you can create any quilt on a machine that just has a straight stitch.
    Old 11-08-2013, 10:27 AM

Hi Enderwiggen,

I bought my Brother sewing machine off of Craigslist for $75. Is it top notch? No. Does it have all the bells and whistles? No. But it's mine and I love it. I would love to have a high end embroidery machine, but that probably won't happen in this lifetime.
    I would suggest going on Craigslist. I know that I am always seeing "brand new in box" listed for little money.
    Another suggestion - if she watches ads and looks for coupons, she can get quilting supplies and fabric for much less.
    That's what I do. I could never afford this hobby at full price.
    Old 11-08-2013, 10:37 AM
    Power Poster

A several thousand dollar machine is a mid priced machine. $5000 and over is the high end. Piecing is all straight stitch, that's all any machine needs to do to make beautiful quilts. I can buy any machine I want but I usually piece on my vintage Singer 301 and machine quilt with my Brother 1500.
    Old 11-08-2013, 10:49 AM

Is it more fun to quilt or to have the machine?
    All you really need is something that will stitch straight and even and not break down.
    Old 11-08-2013, 11:00 AM
    amh

I sewed clothing for many many years, and then switched to quilting. I have never had a machine that had more than a couple features on it. I have to admit that over time I have accummulated 3 machines. My favorite machine is a 1950's model that goes forward and reverses. It sews the best, it is easy to work, it is easy to keep clean, and to maintain. I do almost all of my piecing on that old machine. When I take it to the retreats, it is my machine they are looking at, not the super fancy ones that people paid thousands of dollars for. No one can believe that 55+ year old machine sews better than theirs, but it does, and it is not bothered by anything, it just sews through it. My other favorite machine is the one I use for free motion quilting. It is the bare basics, and I really mean the bare basics. It is a little more pernikity than I'd like but as long as I keep that bobbin area clean as a whistle, she sews like a dream.

Yes, there are times when I wish I had the feature needle up, needle down, but I don't really need it. That is the only feature I would like if I could have it. However, if the needle is up and I want it down, I take my right hand and turn it down, and visa versa.

The joy of quilting for me is the process. I hope that she doesn't give up something she enjoys because someone has convinced her that the tools she needs are extravigant.

She is lucky to have you to encourage her.
    Old 11-08-2013, 11:10 AM

You could also tell her that the machine can only do what she tells it to, and that SHE is the creative one, not the machine. I do most of my piecing by hand, because that is relaxing for me. When I do need to use a machine, I have an inexpensive Brother machine that gets the job done. It has about a hundred stitches, but I only use a few of them. I have made many quilts, and they have always turned out better than I hoped. The whole point is, she doesn't need expensive to be creative. The "first" quilters didn't even have a machine, and they had quilts that turned out beautifully. If she enjoys the quilting, then tell her to focus on that aspect. Quilting is about making something beautiful, not what kind of machine you have. Just my opinion, though.
    Old 11-08-2013, 11:46 AM
    Power Poster

The car analogy is perfect. I ride a Harley Davidson MC. You can bet your bottom dollar I didn't start out on one! Started out on a used Suzuki 450 my DH picked up for a couple hundred. Sewing..I too started out on my circa 1977 JC Penny machine. I sewed for many years on that machine, purchased new for less than $200. I honed my skills and when I could afford it I bought my Bernina, 30 some odd years later. I peiced many fine, functional quilts that are still in use on my JC Penny machine.

Yes I love sewing with my Bernina and it made piecing a much nicer experience for me but I was a quilter and quilting enthusast long before I got that machine.
    This past March I went to visit my mother and brought a project to sew while visiting her. She has a bargain basement machine she purchased on QVC. While I did grumble and complain that I was used to driving a Cadillac and her machine was like driving a Hyundai in comparison, I still managed to piece an entire lap quilt on it and it turned out just fine. Oh and I have done a bit of hand peicing and hand applique too, no machine needed for that at all. And a valuable skill set to have in quilting.
    The quilter makes the quilt not the machine. While it is nice to have awesome tools for the job many a fine, award winning quilt was made without fancy machines. Until I got my longarm machine I quilted by hand.
    I commend you for coming to this board and asking for advice for your wife. You are a wonderful husband for doing this and I think it is great you want to encourage her. But, quite frankly, if your wife feels she can't quilt unless she has a higher end machine like her friend it sounds a bit like a spoiled child whining that they don't have the same toys their playmates do. If she were truly addicted to quilting she would piece her quilts with any means at her disposal. Hone those skills, learn how to achieve a 1/4" seam and save her pennies for the machine of her dreams. Took me 30 years to get the SM of my dreams and I was riding a motorcycle for close to 20 before I got my first Harley.
    Old 11-08-2013, 12:11 PM
    Power Poster

I have never heard of anyone addicted to quilting and then not do it because of not having an expensive sewing machine. That is ridiculous. Good luck.
    Old 11-08-2013, 12:23 PM

I have been quilting in the range of about 30 years. Sewed many years on an inexpensive Singer and now use a Featherweight for most of my piecing. I also own 2 Kenmores, one high end (an embroidery) and one mid-range but use my vintage Singers most of the time. They make the best straight stitch around. A fancy, high-end machine does NOT a quilter make. Encourage her to try some other types of machines, many shops that do machine repair also have different refurbished machines for sale. She may be surprised at what there is out there being offered in different machines and won't know until she tries a few. If she really loves quilting and has the desire to do it, with your help I bet a suitable machine can be found. We have such of wealth of machines, fabrics, notions, etc. that are available to us now days that surely she can find something.