Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Have an Old Sear Kenmore Sewing Machine? >

Do You Have an Old Sear Kenmore Sewing Machine?

Do You Have an Old Sear Kenmore Sewing Machine?

Old 11-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

This is identical to the Kenmore I learned to sew on, as a child. Godzilla finish.... I still have the manual somewhere. It was a great machine with vertical bobbin. Also doubled as a boat anchor! (jk...)

http://sandysinstitches.blogspot.com/ (scroll down a bit)
Old 11-12-2013, 06:45 AM

My husband swears by the old Kenmores with metal parts. They last forever and that's about all he uses.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:02 AM

Sigh! I wish I had a bigger house. I was thrift-storing this weekend and I passed up a Singer 401, a Singer 301, a whole row of older Kenmore machines, and a really awesome teal machine that I can't remember the manufacturer of now. (Maybe another Kenmore?)

I wanted them all! I bought none of them, but I did talk to each of them a little bit! All were marked as working except the 301; all were $50 or less. Not all had pedals or attachments, but most at least had power & foot pedal. Gah! It was as bad as going to the animal shelter - I just wanted to take them all home with me!!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:03 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ts-t63667.html I have one, passed down from my Mom, it was purchased in the mid 60's, in it's own cabinet. I LOVE this machine, it is truly a workhorse, I really think it would sew through nails, LOL! You can see most of it in this photo I posted years ago. I don't have a manual for it, really easy to thread, I keep it clean, and have had it professionally cleaned several times, did have to replace the cord and foot pedal a couple years ago. Mine weighs about 40-50 lbs I think- I just know it's really heavy. I got a new machine last december, because I wanted more stitches and features, but I will NEVER part with my kenmore!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:43 AM

Grannyh67 So sorry about your son, lost my daughter in 1993 at 15 and our kids are not supposed to go before we do. It gets better with time but never leaves you. As long as he lives in your heart and mind, he will always be with you. Bless you.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:06 AM

I have a newer Kenmore that I bought in early 1990s and I love how it sounds - sorta hums. It's a 16 dial stitch and weighs a lot. Right now I'm using my computerized Brother that has push button sewing so I can sit in my recliner & sew without a backache.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
My DH brought home a Kenmore this weekend. I was all happy and everything til he told me how he got it. I'm like no no no. One of the guys who works for him let DH have it and all the attachments and the manual for $50.00. Told DH his wife hasn't used if for awhile (?). How long was awhile? Told him to call the guy and found out his wife nearly shot him. This machine was clean as a whistle. Very well kept. She hadn't used it in a couple years because she had a bit of burn out and kids moved back home with grand kids and was inundated with family chaos. They had overtaken her sewing room. She also worked outside the home. She decided recently she was going to start back to sewing because it was good for Christmas gifts and didn't have a lot of money. She didn't know he sold it AND for $50.00. I want an extra sewing machine for a back up but there's no way I'm keeping this one. DH called and we took it back to her. We got our money back (that wasn't the point) she needed her sewing machine. Dh looked at me and said "Guess next time I'll ask why it's being sold and does the owner know it's being sold." She really used that machine. Every curtain and slipcover and quilt/bedcovering and most of the clothes on her kids backs when they were younger were constructed on that machine. The attachments were in a Ziploc. I had an old jewelry box with sections in it. When opened couple bottom drawers would jut out. I put those in the jewelry box and gave to her. She was delighted and thankful.
That lady was very lucky someone like you got that machine. Was a great thing you did.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

I no longer have my original Sears Kenmore sewing machine - burned the motor up while quilting. Not kidding. However, I'd had the machine for over 10 years and it didn't owe me anything. It was definitely a work horse when it came to sewing heavy fabric, didn't like sewing on silky material or even some cotton material. As an example, when I was first quilting and didn't know ANYTHING, I made a quilt for my daughter: Top was a cheater panel, then I added TWO, yes TWO layers of an old mattress pad, and then a layer of batting, then the backing. Granted I only did straight sewing, but my Kenmore never batted an eye at going through all those layers. Don't know what I was thinking putting all those layers together, however, it was the perfect quilt for my daughter to play on when she was outside - no sticks or rocks got through. I now have a Kenmore that is similar in age and with similar stitches as my Janome 4000, however, it needs to go into the shop for an adjustment - but it was FREE, so my girl friend got it for me, and it will make a good standby machine.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:55 PM

I have a kenmore 1030... I haven't used it very much.. but it is just a beautiful little machine with the prettiest roses imbossed on the case. Pretty vintage green color. I was able to download the manual off the internet.. I've never seen a case with roses molded in like this. Anyone have/use this machine??
Old 11-12-2013, 01:24 PM

I have the Kenmore 158.19142 that I got at Salvation Army a couple years ago. It's like brand new and I got the cams for it on ebay. I trust this machine to outlast any of the newer ones I have. LOVE this machine!