Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you hand, machine or send out your quilt >

Do you hand, machine or send out your quilt

Do you hand, machine or send out your quilt

Old 08-07-2009, 12:54 AM

I quilt every quilt by hand now, when I first started quilting, I quilted on the machine. I don't have any money to have someone else do it for me. I love how hand quilting looks, I made a triple Irish chain quilt with 2 1/2 inch blocks, and hand quilted inside of each block, and the large section, I used pink thread, and feathered hearts. It looks great on the back side too. Every one loves it, and I gave it to by daughter when she got married.

Have a great quilt-n day,
Pauline
Old 08-07-2009, 01:16 AM

I either hand quilt or machine quilt on my mid-arm machine.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:33 AM

I sew all my own quilts. I have a Grace full size frame. Small projects like totes etc. I do on my regular machine. Sending them to an LQ has become very expensive in my area and there aren't that many available.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by farmmom
I quilt mine on my Janome. But I haven't tried a full size quiilt yet. Sending it out is too expensive, and in this area your quilt could be gone for months.
Which Janome do you have? I have the Mc4000. The last quilt that I did sent my machine to the shop. Perhaps the batting was too thick.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:30 AM

I really love to handquilt, but my current project is pretty big and I'm afraid I'm wearing out the fabric dragging it around to quilt on long before I'm done with the quilting!

My second project is a log cabin quilt, and I've been hand piecing the blocks on muslin. I've found that this is just as satisfying, and easier to transport blocks to work on than the whole big quilt. I plan to machine quilt this one, and think that the quilt won't look so worn out by the time I get it done!

Renee

(Editted to spell like a grown-up)
Old 08-07-2009, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

I am a hand quilter. I have thought MANY times how it would be great to send it out and get it done fast, but I do not have the money and am scaredt to try because I do not know anyone who does it.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:07 AM

i do both but love hand quilting it relax you , while you watching t.v and you can take it with you where ever you go
Old 08-07-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
When your quilt is ready to be quilted, do you hand quilt, machine, or send it out to have someone do it for you?
Yes :lol: :lol:

Depends upon size, who it's for, how much $ I have, and how soon I need it finished...
Old 08-08-2009, 04:54 AM

Like gramqlts I to am a stab quilter. Most of my quilting is done by hand, but I don't follow the rules of doing tiny little stitches. With the great waddings we have available now days I don't think we need tiny stitches. I have tryed machine quilting but find hand is much more relaxing.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

I hand quilted my very first quilt...a queen sized Turning Twenty quilt. I did a diagonal cross hatch and then did "fancy" designs in some of the larger blocks. Took me a year and looks horrible...but it was my first. I found that I love to hand quilt, but I get soooo hot! Now I machine quilt on my regular Bernina...oversize queen and down...I haven't made anything larger than that. I've never sent one out. I'd miss the fun of quilting it. I'm getting better....need lots more quilts to practice on though.