Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you hand, machine or send out your quilt >

Do you hand, machine or send out your quilt

Do you hand, machine or send out your quilt

Old 08-06-2009, 08:54 AM

Hand quilting is my preference, it's my favorite part of the project.

Lately however I have so many baby quilts to make I have been machine quilting those on my domestic machine. I use the Flynn frame & really like it, just need more practice.

Jo
Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 AM

I quilt mine on my Janome. But I haven't tried a full size quiilt yet. Sending it out is too expensive, and in this area your quilt could be gone for months.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 AM

I use all three options. My machine quilting is limited to small projects, maybe as large as a baby quilt. I've hand quilted a few small things also. My large quilts and special gifts, I have done by my daugher's MIL. She has a long arm and gives me a good job for a fair price.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:55 PM

Machine - I wish I could still hand quilt, but my thumbs are too old LOL
I'm about to do some more experimenting with quilting Designs on 4D Software on my Pfaff Embroidery machine. I bought the software specifically for this purpose, and I take every class my Pfaff dealer in Tucson offers - free for people who buy the software. It's an amazing program.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:38 PM

It's important to me that all of the quilt be done by me. I don't forsee ever sending one out to be finished by someone else. So far, I've been machine quilting due to deadlines and such. In the two years that I've been quilting, I have learned and grown so much. Now, I'm not afraid to tackle anything. I'm looking forward to making some quilts just for me over the fall and winter and at least one will be hand quilted which will be a first for me. I guess my motto is "nothing ventured, nothing gained"!
Old 08-06-2009, 02:00 PM

I have hand quilted a few things, but now have rheumatoid arthritis and can't do it anymore, so I machine quilt most anything. The largest I've ever done on my Janome is an oversized queen sized quilt for my bed. I do mostly meander or SID on throws and larger items. I have a Grace Frame, but don't use it, even though it's set up in a room in my finished basement. I have trouble standing long enough to make much progress at one time.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:07 PM

Mainly, I hand quilt. I've done a few SID on the machine and been practicing to do a FMQ sometime. I too love the hand quilting but there are sometimes when I know it won't be appreciated that I'm very tempted to do more by machine.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:03 PM

This has been a great surprise. There are still a lot of us hand quilters out there. It seems the last 4 quilt shows I have been to including the International in Long Beach California, I can count the quilts hand quilted on one hand. I don't think there is much respect for the hand quilters in California. Not nearly like the Mid West and East. I am so glad there a quite a few of us not giving up the art of hand quilting.

Don't get me wrong I love the beautiful quilts that are machine quilted, but all my quilting friends in California even if they were hand quilters have totally switched to machine quilting and seem a little condesending some times to those of us that still hand quilt. I even plan on doing some machine quilting in the ditch on my quilts just so I can get to the intricate hand quilting designs. I don't even go to guild meetings in CA anymore, just don't seem to fit in.

Ok, I will get off my soap box. I still love all quilting.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by shaverg
This has been a great surprise. There are still a lot of us hand quilters out there. It seems the last 4 quilt shows I have been to including the International in Long Beach California, I can count the quilts hand quilted on one hand. I don't think there is much respect for the hand quilters in California. Not nearly like the Mid West and East. I am so glad there a quite a few of us not giving up the art of hand quilting.

Don't get me wrong I love the beautiful quilts that are machine quilted, but all my quilting friends in California even if they were hand quilters have totally switched to machine quilting and seem a little condesending some times to those of us that still hand quilt. I even plan on doing some machine quilting in the ditch on my quilts just so I can get to the intricate hand quilting designs. I don't even go to guild meetings in CA anymore, just don't seem to fit in.

Ok, I will get off my soap box. I still love all quilting.
Oh dear - I'm sorry to hear this. I have great respect for BOTH hand and machine quilters. I wish I could still hand quilt, but my hands no longer cooperate, so I'm learning bit by bit to machine quilt. Baby steps LOL
Old 08-06-2009, 07:52 PM

i have done it all an since my hubby got mylong arm machine i do that because it is so easy do do that way ani can get more done that way.i have arteritis an can't stand or sit in sewing chair for long periods of time.i 've had old arther since i was a kid an it's just getting worse as the years go bye.