Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm machine >

Longarm machine

Longarm machine

Old 01-08-2014, 07:52 AM

I have a Tin Lizzie, rarely quilt for anyone else, do my own and have done about 50 children's quilts for charity. Only do meandering and loops, would love to have the attachment for computerized quilting, but think it is about $5000. Does anyone have this for their Tin Lizzie? I don't want to get involved with others as they want their quilt, yesterday.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:54 AM

I purchased an Innova a few years back strictly for myself and family. I joke to myself all the time. My first quilt was my $8,000 quilt, then my second was my $4,000 quilt. I hope I live long enough that my quilts each are less costly to me. My friend wanted to buy one and I asked her how many she could send out to be professionally done for $8,000. She decided she would send them out. I on the other hand am enjoying the process, as slow as I am. I also have the machine robot the MQR and love that too. Problem is I love all of these things and can't live long enough to learn or use them all.

I must say though that anyone wanting a long arm should seriously consider an Innova. It is wonderful. I've never heard a single complaint on the Innova board. Well except for should have, would have, if only I'd listened to what everyone had to say I wouldn't have bought XYZ.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 AM

I have a HandiQuilter Sweet16 that I mostly use for myself but will do for others as well. I do not, however, have a business and charge for quilting items for family and friends.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:59 AM

I have not quilted for others, one neighbor hinted about it, no way she was already picking out faults in the one I was working on. to much stress for me. my kids and grands like mine that's enough.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:10 AM

Mine is a a Gammill Classic on a 14 foot table--and just pride of possession is enough for me. I got just the machine I wanted when I wanted it. My son does most of my "Paid" quilting--and the aggravation IS THERE, believe me. It just goes over his head, and drives ME crazy. Needless to say, I won't be doing commercial quilting; but my friends and sisters use my machine whenever they want, and they love it. I am thoroughly intimidated by that big boy...we have had tension problems from the get-go with it, but we have learned how to get around it by using the same thread in the bobbin as on top--does that make sense? Works for us.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:11 AM

I only quilt my own, but I feel the cost of the machine was worth every penny! No more aching knees or back trying to get the quilt into my old frames and it's not in the frames for days at a time.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I would love to own a LA, but I have no room for such a luxury.
I bought a Tin Lizzie 18 in 2009 with the intention only to quilt for my own use. Last fall I fell in love with a Babylock Crown Jewel with computerized ability. My DH is now using the Lizzie to make his own beautiful creations. I quilt for myself, and occasionally my friends will come over and use the machines. I think often about starting a retirement business, but as someone already said, I would hate to turn my beloved hobby into something I "had" to do and add the stress of worrying about mistakes on a customer's quilt.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:06 AM

I have a Bailey's Pro17 that I bought about a year ago. I'm retired now and can do all the quilting I have wanted to do for years but didn't have the time. So.... I only quilt tops I've made myself. I'm not interested in quilting for others as a business. However I will help my sister with hers and a friend who makes quilts, but that's about it.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:09 AM

I own a Nolting 24" PRO .... I only quilt for myself.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by jetmaio View Post
I purchased an Innova a few years back strictly for myself and family. I joke to myself all the time. My first quilt was my $8,000 quilt, then my second was my $4,000 quilt. I hope I live long enough that my quilts each are less costly to me. My friend wanted to buy one and I asked her how many she could send out to be professionally done for $8,000. She decided she would send them out. I on the other hand am enjoying the process, as slow as I am. I also have the machine robot the MQR and love that too. Problem is I love all of these things and can't live long enough to learn or use them all.

I must say though that anyone wanting a long arm should seriously consider an Innova. It is wonderful. I've never heard a single complaint on the Innova board. Well except for should have, would have, if only I'd listened to what everyone had to say I wouldn't have bought XYZ.
I absolutely agree. I also bought an Innova 3 years ago after learning on a Nolting and using a Gammill (both non-regulated), both rental time at the LQS after a 6 hour class. I also tried a HandiQuilter and a Tin Lizzie, but love the ease of use and quality of the Innova. I also like the customer support.

I tried the Innova after the recommendation of the guild president at my new guild (when we retired and moved). That being said, price is still obviously a factor for some, so other options include looking for a used machine (check with the local dealer - they may have a demo for sale), sales, and what works best for your budget. Also, decide what you are going to quilt (i.e. size of quilt, self, others, etc.) and try the different machines to see what fits you best.

I make quilts for family, friends, and charity. Thought about a business, but since I am retired, I don't really want to worry about the complications of a business.