Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many "snow - birds" are here? >

How many "snow - birds" are here?

How many "snow - birds" are here?

Old 01-23-2014, 02:03 PM

Folks, here in Central FL 70 m N of Tampa and 40 SW of Ocala and 80 from Gainesville, it is cold here, and we do not like it. We have central heat and A/C but alot of people have to use space heaters. I do not know who left the freezer door open, but would you PLEASE shut it.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:06 PM

*** If "ONLY" I have the option.

**Even in Upstate SC it was 20 this morning and to be 14 tomorrow morning.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
I must be crazy but I do not want to be a snow bird! It was 13 below this morning but I know spring will be worth the winter wait and snow makes everything so clean and pretty
I'm with you --even though here it was only 6 below. It got up to 30 by 10:00 and it felt wonderful. I don't mind the snow and cold but then I don't have to go out if I don't want to. I would miss my Mom, kids and grandkids too much!! Don't think I could deal with missing their school programs, athletic events and birthdays!
Old 01-23-2014, 03:41 PM

I'm originally from Upstate New York, and my brothers and sisters are still there. I have one sister and one brother who, with their spouses, go to Florida every October/November. I'm in South Carolina now and after living in snow country the first 18 years of my life, this is where I will stay!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:33 PM

I've been a snowbird since 2012. I live in MA and escaping the winters there is a pleasure, especially this winter. I rent in an over 55 park for 3 months beginning in Jan. I'm fortunate to be able to do this. I love the weather and the social aspect of it as well. I must say that I wouldn't miss a fall in MA, it's the best!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:41 PM

Guess I just have to much Wyoming and Montana in me to want to be where there are lots of people I was out today and lovely the cool fresh air was wonderful don't think my COPD could handle the smogy smelly cities the snow is so white clean and pretty and I do enjoy driving to look at the wild life and winter does have its own beauty this morning even the fences were white and frosty
Old 01-23-2014, 06:56 PM

Came to Fl in March of 1972 with my hubby and young family. Came back every year after. Bought in this mobile park in Jan 1983 for 6 months --because we are Canadians. It works for us and I don't want to be anywhere else in the winter but where it's warm. Bonita Sps --half way between Naples and Ft Myers Fl. Love it but dread thinking of not having good health to be able to come south.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:10 PM

Not interested really. Been in the NE long enough where you plan ahead and all is well.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:11 PM

I have been in SW FL for most of my life. Believe me, the snowbirds have arrived. The traffic is horrendous. I understand that they would want to escape the cold weather though. It was 35 here this morning but warmed up into 60's this afternoon. Beautiful day. I am sorry so many of you are "stuck" in the cold and snow.

February is our busiest snowbird month. We have the Festival of Light in February as we celebrate Thomas Edison's invention of the light bulb. Fort Myers was the winter home of Edison. Lots of going on's during the Festival; largest night-time parade in the US, a Junior Parade, coronation of King & Queen of Edisonia, and much more.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:13 PM

This is our 1st year to stay in Scottsdale, AZ. We are planning to stay Jan & Feb. We are loving this place. It is like a nice spring day in Iowa everyday here. We have a new hobby called Geocaching and am enjoying with the nice weather. We are planning on coming down again next year.

Iowa is so cold now, so am glad to be here. Will be glad to be back in Iowa when it gets hot here.