Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where should a beginer begin? >

Where should a beginer begin?

Where should a beginer begin?

Old 02-09-2014, 08:52 AM

There ae lots of books out there that teach beginning quilting. Youtube has lots of how to videos too. Your local quilt shop may have classes. That is a great way to learn. You just have to sit down at the machine and sew.

Congratualtions on your new Pfaff. I have 2 Pfaff machines and I won't have anything else. The IDT is wondeful for quilting.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:54 AM

There are lots of free videos on YouTube. Missouri Star Quilt Company has some of the best beginner friendly patterns and videos. Jenny Doan makes everything fun. Craftsy.com has a lot of quilting classes, some free, some not. Have fun!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:28 AM

I agree with the previous posts about looking for free tutorials on youtube, Missouri Star Quilt Co ... the best, so easy and I love seeing the process rather than reading it in a book, tho love looking at pix. The www is a veritable treasure chest, you just have to go looking
Old 02-09-2014, 09:52 AM

Like you, I'd been sewing for years but had never done quiltmaking. I am self taught, which is kind of how I approach everything. I didn't khow what I didn't know, at first, and have learned a lot, both here and from reading and online. I suggest you Google quiltmaking, quilt cutting, piecing, all things quilt related, and watch the videos. Also, buy a book or two of basics, with photos that show cutting fabric. Get your 6x24 ruler and maybe a 12 inch square, too, to start, and just start cutting.....carefully. (When if first began, I loved the cutting process. Now, not so much . My first was a simple 9 patch, throw size, made without a pattern, just made enough blocks to the size I wanted. I read up on sashing and backing and finally borders (I brought the back to the front as a border on that first one and hand sewed it).

Go slowly and carefully and have fun!
Old 02-09-2014, 11:04 AM

Search for quilting on youtube. Then watch some videos to find something that strikes you as doable. Next, come back here, tell us what pattern you have chosen, and we will coach you through it. Also, do a google search for free quilt patterns. Welcome and enjoy the process. If you find yourself feeling stressed, stop over-thinking about it, and come here for more encouragement. Welcome to your new addiction, lol.

BTW - I can recommend Eleanor Burns patterns because she breaks everything down to step by step. That is how I started.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

Is there a quilt guild in your area - it would be a good way to get acquainted with other quilters and perhaps they might have quilt classes. Since you seem anxious to begin quilting - check out Jenny Doan's tutorials on MSQC, there are simple baby quilts and I believe she may have some quilting tutorials as well. Craftsy also has quilting classes that you can purchase for about the same price as a regular quilting class, they offer feedback with your questions and you have the added bonus of getting to review the material as many times as you would like, whenever it's convenient for you. Welcome to quilting and the Quilting Board, where you can always find help to any question.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:50 PM

Well you have what you need but you didn't mention any fabric. Since you have did garment construction I am sure you have scraps. So my first quilt was all those left over scraps from clothing cut into 5" squares and sewn together. You can pick a fun looking beginner quilt from the net since now days there is just so much to select from and start sewing. Points to remember accuracy, pressing, and have fun. Good luck and welcome
Old 02-09-2014, 02:24 PM

Great advice from the others - just want to welcome you to the board!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:07 PM

Don't forget to get a 6 1/2" x 24" ruler. You can do a lot of measuring with this kind of ruler There are various sizes of all kinds of rulers but this is a good starter one. As others have said start with a small project. A good traditional pattern is the nine patch. Have fun!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:58 PM

Welcome to the board! My piece of advise is "Don't be afraid to come on this board and ask questions." The only dumb question is the one you should have asked, but didn't. Oh, and have fun and don't stress out!