Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Harbor Freight cutting blades >
  • Harbor Freight cutting blades

• Harbor Freight cutting blades

Old 02-20-2014, 09:14 AM

Do you have a Rotary Blade Sharpener? Maybe that woud 'smooth' things out?? Let me know if you do & try it, so I can go buy Harbor freight blades!
    Old 02-20-2014, 09:24 AM

I, too, have had mixed results with the HF blades. They do seem to dull fairly quickly, and it's hard to get them apart when I take them out of the package, as well as the problem with them sticking to the cardboard. And, I've had nicks and dull spots with them. That being said, they are inexpensive, for sure. DH bought me 20 packages one year for Mother's Day and I'm trying to use them, but it gets old having to change the blade so often. I'm thinking there's a reason the name brand, made for quilting, blades are more expensive!
    I am wondering, however, about the benefit of buying a blade sharpener. Would it pay for itself down the line if I use the HF blades and sharpen them? Gonna have to look into and think about that.
    It's interesting to read the comments - seems people either love them or hate them, not much in between!
    Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
    I agree!!!!! the price is right!!!!!
    Same here. I bought quite a few packages when they were first suggested on this board, and am still using them,they last a long time!
    Old 02-20-2014, 10:35 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by Pat M.
    Every Harbor Freight carpet blade I have bought works and I cut ALOT! Sometimes you get a bad blade so take the package back and exchange them for another package. It could also be your mat you are cutting on. Sometimes the blades stick together and you think you are using 1 blade, but there are 2 stuck together. This is what I have found out by using them.
    I totally agree and love the Harbor Freight blades .. I have had one bad blade in the whole bunch, and out of at least 10 packages so far that is great ! Its a love/hate relationship with the blades I have found out . Either they work for you and you love them or they don't and you hate them. :-)
    Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 AM

I'm still using mine and they cut just fine. I guess I'm lucky
    Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 AM

I have used several of them and so far I have had no problem with them. I use them for a long tie as well. If, as people say, there is a bad one every so often, it is no problem since thy only cost $1 ( or less, when you get them on sale). For now, I'm satisfied with them and can use the money saved somewhere else.
    Old 02-20-2014, 01:31 PM

These stories are why I haven't jumped on the band wagon and ordered any blades from Harbor Freight. I buy from eBay when I see they are brand names and at a good price.
    Old 02-20-2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by JAK
    I have been seeing on here for years now how people love the Harbor Freight replacement blades for their 45mm rotary cutters. We recently had a Harbor Freight open close to me and I was so excited. Since they were only $1.99 for a package of 2 I bought 2 packages. They are the most horrible blades I have ever used. They have "dead spots" in them so you can't make one cut and have to go over a second time to get the remaining fabric. It is not a clean cut it is somewhat jagged. The second unopened package is going back. I will wait until I either have a coupon or they go on sale at Joanne and buy them there.
    I've gotten blades at a great price on ebay. Olfa and fiskers. Somewhere around 1 a piece.
    Old 02-20-2014, 02:25 PM
    pw6

Thanks, I'll be sure to avoid them. can't stand a dull blade.
    Old 02-20-2014, 02:41 PM

I live in a small town near a big city. That said, we have a Walmart that offers a pkg of 2 for $3.99. Now, that isn't as cheap as HF but it is handy and the price is reasonable. I have used HF and the center hole dosen't match all my rotary cutters. It does fit my favorite one. No problem with their quality.