Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric prices >
  • Fabric prices

• Fabric prices

Old 03-07-2014, 11:31 PM

Average price here is $22 for a metre (39") and batiks/flannels are around $23.40...... I mostly buy on line from the US or when my LQS has a sale - about $14.
    Old 03-08-2014, 03:47 AM

I feel guilty quilting
    Old 03-08-2014, 04:09 AM

I don't feel guilty quilting. It is something I enjoy and others spend a lot on things they enjoy as well such as going out to eat, playing golf, fishing, bowling and such. I do stick to a budget and make it part of the fun to find just the right fabric for something. I tend to collect fabric with an idea in mind and so it will sometimes take me several years to get my collection for a particular quilt. Doing it this way of buying a little here, a little there the impact on the pocketbook isn't so startling. Fabric is also what I buy on vacation as a souvenir instead of a tshirt or something else that just's going to sit around collecting dust. I always put money for my quilt stash or gift certificates on my wish list for Christmas and birthday so my family helps out there. I always ask when I go into a quilt shop where the mark down room/section is and shop there. This is where I get most of my quilt backs as I can usually find something that will work. I will buy lower quality/cheaper fabric (like at JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby) for things like pot holders and small projects but never for a quilt. If I'm going to put that many hours of work into something then I want the fabric to be good. It also takes me longer than many to complete a quilt so I'm actually enjoying the journey for less money per hour than someone who is in a race to make a lot of quilts.
    Old 03-08-2014, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by stillclock
    prices range from $10-$20 a meter.

these threads are really starting to chafe. i wish people could understand the slavery economy behind fabric production, and the reality of what it would cost should the true costs of fabric be charged back to the consumer. the environmental impact of industrial cotton production is truly, truly horrifying.

we pay a small fraction of what fabric really costs, both to the humans who make it and to the planet that we take it from.

aileen
    Probably true in most facets of life as we know it. Is there an alternative or solution to it?
    Old 03-08-2014, 04:35 AM

In Australia prices in LQS is any thing up to $30.00/metre, that is why I buy online from overseas, even with postage it is still cheaper.
    Old 03-08-2014, 04:42 AM

The LQS has $12-16 and if we drive to the west coast, a shop there sells for $10-12. The coast store is owned by the quilt shop, the one here is rented.
    Old 03-08-2014, 05:10 AM

Just spent over $40 for enough fabric for backing for a queen sized quilt WITH a coupon....NEVER again! I will piece from my stash or use flannel or cotton sheets. Don't care what the quilt police say about it. When we refuse to pay such high prices the price will have to come down.
    Old 03-08-2014, 05:11 AM

$7.99 a yard is average except the wider ones
    Old 03-08-2014, 05:21 AM

I, too have sticker shock when I go into the LQS..... most fabrics are $11 and up. My stash doesn't always give me what I want so it's off to shopping for another piece of yardage. The UFOs that I have been working on usually cost me $50 and up to finish..... Arghh!!

I do find some nice fabric at estate sales and try to pick up anything that I think I'll use. I have been very lucky to find some nice things.... and usually they are priced more than reasonable. So, the stash is a nice size and whatever I have to buy to finish up something is not as bad as it would be if I were getting everything for a quilt at the LQS.
    Old 03-08-2014, 05:26 AM

That really sounds high to me. I can buy fabric for $10-$11 in my area from LQS.