Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I made a Pixel Portrait Quilt of Tom Hiddleston - Need help finishing >

I made a Pixel Portrait Quilt of Tom Hiddleston - Need help finishing

I made a Pixel Portrait Quilt of Tom Hiddleston - Need help finishing

Old 03-19-2014, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
First of all props to you for such a challenge. At a quilt show last year I saw a pixel quilt of a lion that was very large like yours. She tied the quilt but did the ties in front and after completing it she realized it needed to be tied with the ties on the back. She had the same problem with the weight and it had even pulled out of shape from hanging at the show. I'm wondering if using an iron-on stabilizer cut in strips and applied in a grid would help control the shape.
P. S. Take the advise of sending this to your local paper and also contact some quilt magazines.
Would you recommend any particular magazines? How should I try to go about contacting them?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:56 AM

Goodness. What a masterpiece! I can't wait to see your second quilt. A wonderful accomplishment.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:58 AM

Impressed, mount it and hang for viewing in a very large room. Great project!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:25 AM

The most realistic portrait quilt I have ever seen. First quilt? Beautiful
Old 03-20-2014, 03:46 AM

There is a HUGE quilt museum at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. Please contact them for assistance. If they don't know what to do they may be able to refer you to some really special framers/artists who can help you. It is worthy of the BEST stabilization.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:58 AM

Here is a link to a "Craftsy" class with that technique. Perhaps you could contact the instructor for some advice. They are usually great about that. Unbelievable work you did...kudos to you!!
http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/12/...quilt-pattern/
Old 03-20-2014, 04:05 AM

I just have to jump in here and tell you that I think your quilt is fabulous! You are quite an artist. Amazing that this is your first! I don't know what to tell you about finishing your quilt, but I will advise you to keep on quilting! You are a natural born quilter!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:35 AM

Perhaps you can use a stabilizer that you press on to the back of the quilt. I'd go to my local fabric shop and see what they have. You are right, batting and backing would make your quilt (which is amazing) a whole lot heavier.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:48 AM

This is one of the most amazing pieces of quilted art I have ever seen! You are truly an artist to start with and your fabric medium is very well done. Definitely seek the advice of a quilt museum such as the one at the University of Nebraska. Consider contacting Linda Taylor, a well known longarm quilter and instructor for advise. Your work of art deserves the best advise to enhance it and protect its integrity. Whatever type of quilting you are advised to do will enhance the project rather than compete with the artistry. Please be sure to let us all know what you decide to do.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:06 AM

What an incredible feat. Not only is the quilting amazing, the computer work is as well. The way you fine tuned the images - wow. It must have taken an immense amount of time and effort just to scan in all the fabrics. As for Mr. Huddleston, I think if you sent him a fan letter or something to his manager, you'll get to meet him. After all, it's the kind of publicity that can't help but be positive for him. (It also puts your quilt out there; maybe we could see you on Early Morning America as a human interest story.) Have you decided what you want to do next? It will be fun seeing where you go from here. Wintherthur Museum in Delaware is another possible source of information for finishing/hanging the quilt. They have a lot of conservators who deal daily with that type of issue. Following the links people have proved may also help a lot. I wasn't aware of how many people are making these quilts; I doubt that many of them reach the artistic and workmanship level of yours. Welcome to the group; it will be interesting to watch your development as a quilter; you are really talented. Thank you for sharing it with us. Joyce in DE