Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I made a Pixel Portrait Quilt of Tom Hiddleston - Need help finishing >

I made a Pixel Portrait Quilt of Tom Hiddleston - Need help finishing

I made a Pixel Portrait Quilt of Tom Hiddleston - Need help finishing

Old 03-20-2014, 09:32 AM

That is absolutely stunning. I can't believe it is your first quilt. You are truly gifted.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:37 AM

ditto to all previous remarks about your amazing first quilt!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:23 AM

I believe everything about your first quilt has already been said and I DITTO all of it. It is truly amazing to have the knowledge you have with your artistic talent and the use of the computer to pull it all together. Thanks for sharing and will keep watch for how you choose to 'finish' the quilt.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
WOW! just wow! Tom never looked so good ;-)
WOW!! Just WOW! I couldn't have said it any better Debra!! I have been quilting for over 25 years and I have never made anything this complicated except at Quilt Market. Saw a lovely quilt that was a cross stitch pattern that was done in small tiny 1" squares. It took the viewer's pick award. You went from a beginner quilter to an advance quilter. I want to do a pictorial of my favorite Westie but he never in his life could sit still for a photo !! VERY WELL DONE !!!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 AM

Absolutely fantastic!!!! Do you have a more detailed tutorial for this??
Old 03-20-2014, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kimkankwilt View Post
Absolutely fantastic!!!! Do you have a more detailed tutorial for this??
You need the software to do this project. This isnt a hard project, just tedious. Its kind of like painting by numbers. You scan in your photo then your fabrics then a printed chart of squares (several pages you then tape together) comes out telling you which fabric to put where. I was fortunate to take a class and the teacher had the software on her laptop and brought a printer. Software is kinda pricey IMHO. So I have only made one but it was easy. Mine was not a bed quilt but rather a wallhanging. The original poster sure knew how to pick the right fabrics!
Old 03-20-2014, 12:34 PM

SOOO amazing. The picture is as good as a photograph, amazing eye for color and shading. One question: while piecing the letter background, did you plan out some phrases our songs, your flash) or was all that random? I am just awestruck.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
You need the software to do this project. This isnt a hard project, just tedious. Its kind of like painting by numbers. You scan in your photo then your fabrics then a printed chart of squares (several pages you then tape together) comes out telling you which fabric to put where. I was fortunate to take a class and the teacher had the software on her laptop and brought a printer. Software is kinda pricey IMHO. So I have only made one but it was easy. Mine was not a bed quilt but rather a wallhanging. The original poster sure knew how to pick the right fabrics!
What is the name of the software (the one you find to be the best)???
Old 03-20-2014, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
Actually, the software I used was free.
I didn't know of this woman's Quilted Photo website, I kinda came up with the idea on my own. Now that I know she exists, I could ask her for help finishing.

The program I use is called AndreaMosaic, and it is a free download: http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/

There is a tutorial and FAQ and forum for discussion. I will do a proper writeup later, but this is what I use.

The only program I use that requires money is Adobe Photoshop, however, you could use any free program that has similar functions of photoshop such as GIMP or PaintshopPro. I also believe that Adobe Creativesuite 2 is now available for free online. It's not as new but it gives you the function.

I am only 25 so I have been a broke college student while making this quilt. I know that sewing can be a huge expense and it can be very limiting for those on a budget.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:44 PM

If that is your first quilt, I wan to see your work 10 years in! That is one amazing quilt. Thanks for sharing! I am in awe!