Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with a handmade wedding gift? >

What to do with a handmade wedding gift?

What to do with a handmade wedding gift?

Old 05-30-2014, 01:32 AM

Personally -- and this is just my own opinion -- I think we place too much emphasis on using quilts as "displays" or coverlets or whatever. My quilts are to be used to keep a person warm or to be used as a hug from me when I'm not there. They can be used under a bedspread or another quilt or blanket or whatever. I do try to make them attractive or appealing, but not everyone shares my taste in what I like......I'm so sad for them! (haha!!!!)
Old 05-30-2014, 02:19 AM
Power Poster

It would break my heart either way. If it were me, I would put them on a bed in the spare bedroom even if I folded it up at the end of the bed, at least until their passing. Then I would offer them to their family as a keepsake. At any rate, I would give it a great deal of thought before I got rid of them. Good luck with your problem.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:46 AM

I want my quilts used but if the person I give it to wants to regift it's okay with me. I might be a little upset if I see one of my quilts used as a dog bed but otherwise it is better used than in the closet rotting away. Oh, and I have made special dog/cat beds but it might be hard to take if one of my bigger quilts were used that way. Really, a gift is a gift and the person that receives the gift gets to do whatever they want with it.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:49 AM

If you really don't want it, please think about your relatives who are her relatives too and see if some of them would like either the quilt or the afghan. They may be really precious to someone else in the family, even if they aren't your style.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

It's a shame you can't find a use for these somewhere in your home, simply because they were made for you with love. But if you are just itching to get them out of your house, I'd send them to a good charity. If they are bigger than lap quilts, Quilts of Compassion is collecting quilts for the families who recently lost everything they had in the tornadoes. I know they would be appreciated.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quilt...n/336600644288

They need 1500 quilts and they are not even halfway to that goal yet...
Old 05-30-2014, 04:37 AM

I found out long ago not everyone appreciates home made gifts I have given some away and seen them in all kinds of places not cared for at all I worked very hard on one for a wedding gift even used her wedding colors she did not even say thank you and it just disappeared I would of loved to have that quilt so now I keep them if someone admires it I tell them they can have it or I sell them as I feel if someone wants it bad enough to pay something for it then they want it I was in a beauty shop one day and over heard a lady say she woulf not pay 25.00 dollars for a home made blanket so be careful who you give to unless you know they really want it
Old 05-30-2014, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

I would hang on to it and pass it down in the family one day
Old 05-30-2014, 04:49 AM

I love the idea of a quilt exchange. Maybe someday, when it have had the chance to make enough quilts that I actually keep a few . . . But I do think of quilts as heirloom items. Sort of like jewellery. I once gave a family member a piece of jewellry that meant a great deal to me. She never, ever wears it. If I could gracefully get it back from her, I would, because I would want it to go to someone who loved it and wore it from time to time. Since then, I always tell recipients that if they ever decide they don't like a quilt, or it isn't to their taste, they should return it to me. I can always make something else for them. I would hate to see it rot in a closet.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:52 AM

As an aside, when in make a quilt for someone, I always have them pick out the pattern and take them fabric shopping.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:14 AM

I know that I put a great deal of effort and work into my quilts and especially if they are a wedding/birthday gift. I would keep these gifts for awhile.