Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with a handmade wedding gift? >

What to do with a handmade wedding gift?

What to do with a handmade wedding gift?

Old 05-30-2014, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Why a gift specially made for someone is sometimes a waste of time and money - - - -

At least the original poster is aware of the cost, time, and effort involved in the making of the items.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by kaelynangelfoot View Post
She named the quilt "A New Beginning" and included the date and location of the wedding. I have decided to keep the quilt and have vacuum sealed it in a space bag for storage in my cedar chest. Maybe someday I will redecorate our bedroom from maroon and pale gold and will want a pink and purple quilt.
Oh, how very sweet....I would have been unable to let go of the quilt at that point too. I hope you do get to use it some day!
Old 05-30-2014, 05:47 AM

I have learned that when I am going to make someone a quilt we go shopping together and they pick the colors and pattern. Then everybody is happy. Then we go to lunch.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Okay ladies & gentlemen, I would like to thank you all for your thoughts and ideas. I really appreciate that no one was critical or harsh with me. The reason this came up was that I am in a phase of my life right now where I need to get rid of clutter. I've been packing up and donating unused items (clothes I haven't worn in years, duplicate kitchen items from when my grandparents passed away, etc). I came across the blankets while cleaning and they met my "unused" criteria.

However, my husband has decided that he wants to use the crochet afghan as a TV blanket, so it is now in our living room AND IS ACTUALLY GETTING USED! I will probably be getting rid of a different, unsentimental blanket instead.

And the quilt I spread out on my bed and flipped it over, something which in all the hustle and bustle of the wedding I had apparently never done and I read the label my great aunt made. She named the quilt "A New Beginning" and included the date and location of the wedding. I have decided to keep the quilt and have vacuum sealed it in a space bag for storage in my cedar chest. Maybe someday I will redecorate our bedroom from maroon and pale gold and will want a pink and purple quilt.
Or you might have a daughter someday that will be "in love with" pink and purple.

Sometimes one just has to look at something with "a fresh eye"
Old 05-30-2014, 07:16 AM

I don't know how old you are, I'm old LOL. I would kill if I had something my mother or father made. And to have a quilt fro any family member would be such a joy. It doesn't match your decor? It's family. Once they are gone, they are gone. I'd keep it and display it, no matter what it looked like!
Old 05-30-2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I made my mother a quilt that she oohed and aahed over, but it promptly went to the closet, never to be seen again. She even complains about how much room it takes up. I would love to have it back for myself or give it to someone else who would use it for its intended purpose. I think there is nothing wrong with passing it on to someone who will use it.
I agree...pass it on...there are folks in great need out there
Old 05-30-2014, 08:25 AM

Okay ladies & gentlemen, I would like to thank you all for your thoughts and ideas. I really appreciate that no one was critical or harsh with me. The reason this came up was that I am in a phase of my life right now where I need to get rid of clutter. I've been packing up and donating unused items (clothes I haven't worn in years, duplicate kitchen items from when my grandparents passed away, etc). I came across the blankets while cleaning and they met my "unused" criteria.

However, my husband has decided that he wants to use the crochet afghan as a TV blanket, so it is now in our living room AND IS ACTUALLY GETTING USED! I will probably be getting rid of a different, unsentimental blanket instead.

And the quilt I spread out on my bed and flipped it over, something which in all the hustle and bustle of the wedding I had apparently never done and I read the label my great aunt made. She named the quilt "A New Beginning" and included the date and location of the wedding. I have decided to keep the quilt and have vacuum sealed it in a space bag for storage in my cedar chest. Maybe someday I will redecorate our bedroom from maroon and pale gold and will want a pink and purple quilt.
I am glad you are keeping the quilt. I love purple and a purple/pink quilt sounds wonderful to me....however, it is an unusual choice for a wedding quilt. I know I am in the minority when it comes to loving purple. I can't even think of any of my friends, quilter friends, or relatives who would want one of my purple quilts.

But I am glad you are holding on to it. The personalized label makes it way too precious...

I am glad for the afghan, as it has to feel good to be cuddled.

Dina
Old 05-30-2014, 08:58 AM

What a fantastic idea! You have solved a prickly problem in a simple and smart way. I'll bet your family appreciates this exchange program very much!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

Maybe someday I will redecorate our bedroom from maroon and pale gold and will want a pink and purple quilt.
Hmmmm, pink and purple? If you ever have a daughter or grand-daughter, the quilt could become very special to them.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:50 AM

I made my sister a lap quilt a few years back and it turned out beautiful....yellows and blues. One day I was at her house and she had used it to cover the dogs cage. Talk about hurt, but I said nothing. I would rather she gave it to someone else who would appreciate it or have given it back to me. I see nothing wrong with passing items on or exchanging them for another "useful" item.