Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gifted fabric  - need advice and opinions >

Gifted fabric - need advice and opinions

Gifted fabric - need advice and opinions

Old 02-11-2015, 10:13 AM

I would use them. I have old sheets here I am planing on using. Not everyone can afford the top quilt shop fabric, when on SS and limited income, you do what you can with what you have. I even had some cotton a little thinner (give to me) than I would like and I will put light weight iron on stabilizer behind it and it was fine.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:59 AM

If you can't use it all, call your local quilt guild, if there is one, and gift it to them for Community quilts and doll quilts for Salvation Army at Christmas. I sometimes think I am going to live long enough to make everything I ever wanted to make. Don't think there is a way!! Those groups are always happy to take extra fabric.
Maiah
Old 02-11-2015, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Don't let the quilt police scare you the best quality does not always mean 100% cotton. The vast majority of people have no idea if the beautiful quilt you gave them is 100% cotton or poly cotton. Hell I bet if you shared a picture of a finished quilt with us no one would look at it and assume that it's not all cotton. While 100% cotton absolutely has its place and makes a beautiful quilt so do other options. I have sen some beautiful works of quilt art where someone has thought outside the box. Not to mention all the quilts our ancesters made using what was available to them. Unless you are making a show quilt to be judged there is no reason to tell anybody your "dirty little secret".
You are absolutely right Billi!
Old 02-11-2015, 05:33 PM
yel

amen.................AZ Jane
Old 02-12-2015, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

Poly blends work very well for quilts. They will outlast cotton quilts.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am sorry, but Harriet Hargrave taught me to use the best fabrics and batting you can afford. Charity quilts should be made out of the same fabric that you would make for yourself. Just my opinion.
I disagree.

I didn't take my little ones to Outback when they were little (have only been there 2x in my life, BTW)--it would have been a waste of money-- as they preferred McD's. Why spend $10-15 per kid for a meal when they were happy with $2-3 each for a Happy Meal?

I give away a lot of charity quilts each year to people here in Poland. You do not need to make them the same way and of the same materials you make for yourself or your family! I feel very strongly about this.

I hate using double knit--never liked it when I was a kid when my mom wore it (I'm 52). However, I've been given some double knit (poly) tops to finish. I did. I put them in the "charity quilt pile" as I give people a choice when they get a quilt--at least 10 to choose from. Every single one of my polyester double knit quilts has been chosen. I personally think they are awful, and don't even enjoy touching them but someone can use them and guess what? They even like them. They are warm and will last decades!

So, I strongly disagree wtih the idea that you have to use only highest quality quilt shop 100% cotton for your charity quilts (or even your own quilts). You can use what you have. The needy will be glad. Just do good quality work and the quilt will see many years of service and keep people warm!
Old 02-12-2015, 06:52 AM

I buy sheets at thrift stores for many of my backings, they wash wonderfully and are good and strong. I have used some poly cottons in my quilt tops and I know that many of my vintage quilts are full of them. Use them !
Old 02-12-2015, 07:25 AM

The heavier curtain fabric is useful for dog cushions, and you can put any scraps inside for stuffing.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:16 AM

I love all the Suggestions others have posted above me... How about a throw for inside your Car to use at the Beach or Heaven forbid you have to kneel on the Ground to change a tire... Great use of Fabric patchwork style for a Picnic Cloth for on the Ground or a Table... Tote Bags/or Backpack style bags of all sizes... I made small personal Totes out of upholstery sample piece fabrics... these were donated to a Women's shelter to use for their personal Grooming Supplies like hair brush, bar of Soap, toothbrush and paste and Deodorant, and Shampoo and hand lotion.. etc.. ended up about 12 inches by 16 inches with added gusset ...+ a Handle... Even some cute easy Stuffed animals that could be stuffed lightly and Donated ... if its made with Love from the Heart who could complain.... I can't afford the $$ a yard for fancy designer Quilt Fabrics either... I just saw on another site the Fabric for a Table Runner kit that would cost over $60... sorry that's out of my Budget..
Old 02-12-2015, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
You will find a use for all of them!

My only caution is to be aware that poly and poly:cotton blends require a cooler iron than 100% cotton.

Have fun with all your fabric.
That's a good point, when I was making these quilts with the poly cotton blends I set my iron on the wool setting and it worked great. The cotton setting was definitely too hot.