Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you sew with friends? >
  • Do you sew with friends?

• Do you sew with friends?

Old 09-18-2015, 07:54 AM

I love to sew with friends and do so at least twice a week. I love the chit chat and all of the ideas.
    Old 09-18-2015, 08:10 AM

I started quilting with a friend every Monday evening and at first it was fun. I had more quilting/sewing experience than her and so I was more than happy to share my experience. However she doesn't seem to have picked anything up after more than 3 years. She still asks about seam allowances and which way to press. She promises to make things for people and then expects me to design/look up patterns work out fabric amounts and literally hold her hand all the way. She then shows off her work without so much as a reference to my contribution. This might seem mean spirited of me but I can't actually get on with any sewing at all when she is there so I am trying to find a way to stop the sessions. So Nora in answer to your question if your friend just wants company say yes it's lovely to sew with like minded people but if she needs tuition be aware of what you are taking on.
    Old 09-18-2015, 08:52 AM

When I quilt with others (if not in class), I just tend to do more cutting and ironing. I like sewing in my little hole (it makes me happy and I can have my pj's on and no make-up), I have also used the time to have some extra hands when I'm putting a king sized quilt sandwich together.
    Old 09-18-2015, 08:57 AM
    Power Poster

I have tried sewing with others, but, it doesn't work so well for me. I get too excited about having company over I fuss too much on food and conversation to get anything done. I suppose if I continued on I would settle down to the sewing part.
    Now I was able to sew home deco and draperies with my mom that she wanted custom done. We were good at working together whether it was canning or sewing. But, alas, she is gone now.

But, that is me. I hope you can organize your time and talent to sew together. It always sounds like so much fun when others post about it.
    Old 09-18-2015, 09:05 AM

Our guild has a sew day twice a month in a clubhouse where someone lives. I have a go to easy charity pattern that I could almost do in my sleep. 10-12 people show up--sometimes less. I really enjoy that and love helping others.

BUT my new nanny job has eliminated that. I am grateful for this job and it is about 20 hours a week.
    Old 09-18-2015, 09:09 AM

I sew with two different groups of friends.one group meets Wednesday evenings at the LQS, where tables are set up in the classroom. The same 5 people are there most every week, we work on our own projects for a couple of hours, but we have also are working on a joint project, the Austin Bluebird Quilt. We help each other with different aspects of it, and have a jolly good time. Bring our own machines, etc., and snacks.

the other group meets on Thursdays, a bunch of women sewing charity quilts for folks in nursing homes who don't have family to visit often, and for children in the DSS system. The woman who sponsors this group has a dedicated area with EVERYTHING we need. All we do is bring a dish for lunch and clean up. It is so much fun, all our fabric (well, most of it) is donated and we have enough to last several years! I've made some wonderful friends this way and it has helped me hone my skills and learn new things. Plus, I don't feel like a recluse!

i recommend sewing with new people, you might have new friends and new skills!
    Old 09-18-2015, 09:10 AM

I never quilt with others. I sometimes teach others who have never made a quilt and/or have never sewn before how to quilt. But I work alone. This keeps me from taking classes because there are other people around me! Crazy, but true.
    Old 09-18-2015, 10:14 AM

I sew with my friend all the time and let me tell you that not only do we make beautiful quilts (other things too) but all we do is laugh while we make things. I actually hate to sew alone now
    Old 09-18-2015, 10:41 AM

I got seven chairs just like my first office chair, just so others could come over and sew with me, I even bought 5 singer 221s so we would have the same machine, have my room all set up to share, my problem? No one here wants to come and sew with me, we tried to do it at the center for a few months but just no interest around here, so nice you have some one to share with, you can learn so much from each other, send her to me if you don't want her lol

Last edited by leaha; 09-18-2015 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling
    Old 09-18-2015, 11:19 AM

I have a "quilters" group, We have been meeting monthly for 25 years, basically the same core people minus a few who passed away. We take turns, provide lunch or not and spend the day together, some have turned away from quilting and they are now knitting or not doing any hand work. Twice a year we go to the seaside for 5 days and once a year we go to the mountains. We quilt or knit all day, we laugh and talk and eat a lot. I get inspired and I do a great amount of work either by hand or machine.
    I think the secret for our long success is that we are pretty accomodating, the best in our group is always willing to help but she can refuse when she has a project and we are all ok with that. I love all these ladies and they are like family to me.