Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Am I the only one with this problem? >
  • Am I the only one with this problem?

• Am I the only one with this problem?

Old 11-04-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by sewnclog
    I used to have a GE washer, top loader with a 'filter tray'. It was THE BEST machine I've ever used. Unfortunately it died a few years ago (I'd had it for about 40 years-they just don't make things like they used to LOL but I do still have the dryer). The filter tray in the top would catch everything that went through the washer as the water would recycle and go into the filter. I had to empty it often, but never had an issue with the drain clogging. They don't make these machines any longer. Never keep the good products; just sell us junk. So any others I'd make, yes, they'd get their first wash in the large machine at the Laundromat. You're lucky you didn't have to call a plumber.
    I had a Maytag with the same type of filter. Life has not been the same since that machine died - after 18 years of great service.
    Old 11-04-2015, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Anyone plug up the laundromat machine? LOL OK It seems to be the way to go. Can I do more then one rag quilt in the big machine?
    That would be me. When I returned to take the quilt out of the dryer, a plumber was hard at work snaking the drain. I sneaked the quilt out as inconspicuously as possible.
    Old 11-04-2015, 11:08 AM

Laundromat!! for ALL Rag Quilts.. and new towels too. That fuzz that comes off will clog the pump in washers.
    Old 11-04-2015, 12:22 PM

I've only made 2 rag quilts and it didn't occur to me they could cause problems. I must have gotten lucky because they both got washed in my front loader and dried in my dryer no problem. The flannel that I used was pretty tightly woven, so it probably didn't shed nearly as much as a homespun would. Also, I used rag snips and snipped the fabric after it was sewn rather than die cutting with a rag die and then sewing. Don't know if that would make a difference or not.
    Old 11-04-2015, 01:31 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Since we know the lint problem these create, isn't it irresponsible taking them to a laundromat? It's messing up someone else's machine instead of our own. I'm not comfortable with this.
    The laundromat was on my way to the grocery so I stopped to ask. The owner of the laundromat here said there was a 'grinder' on each machine drain, like the food grinder on a dishwasher. The industrial machine has a powerful grinder so even stuffing from toys or pillows won't clog that up. He said the commercial washers come with those on it now anyway. He said he hasn't had a clogged drain since he put the new washers in. My next washer will be a commercial one for sure. Doesn't cost that much more then a regular one. He said he would order it for me when I got ready for it.
    Old 11-04-2015, 03:15 PM

I washed a couple of rag quilts in my washing machine, but until this thread, I did not know what clogged up my washing machine outlet drain. I will remember this for the next time, because I had to go and borrow a snake to unclog it.
    Thanks for the information.
    Cathy
    Old 11-04-2015, 03:34 PM

I have washed rag quilts in my front loader without any problems, too. And dried in my drier, no problem. I guess we should "knock on wood"

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes
    No problems with my front loader and dryer;I didn't do anything special and they handled them fine. I was quite surprised, and relieved! Now all these comments have me thinking it was just a lucky "one off" for me and I'm wondering if I'll be so chirpy about it all the next time around!!!!
    Old 11-04-2015, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    If it's a smallish quilt you can wash it in a zippered pillow case. You can also try a mesh bag. with the pillow case, it will take several washings because there's not as much agitation. I would never try it in a domestic front loader. not enough water or agitation.
    If this is true, and no reason to not think it is, the new top load washers that adjust the water for the load size, will not be good either. Hard to find a washer where you can decide how much water you need to wash your clothes.
    Old 11-04-2015, 07:51 PM

When I made a Raggy Jacket, I dampened it and then took it out in the yard and shook the daylights out of it and then brushed it for a long time. I then washed it in my top-loading machine. However, when I dried it, I stopped the dryer frequently, cleaned the filter well, and continued until the jacket stopped losing lint. Took a long time, but I have washed and worn it since with no problems.
    Old 11-05-2015, 03:50 AM

I would never attempt to wash any rag quilt in my home washer, no matter the make or model. I made quite a few some years back and they all went to the Laundromat for washing, then took them home and shook them vigorously and then into the dryer.