Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a Guild Member???? >

Are you a Guild Member????

Are you a Guild Member????

Old 10-20-2009, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by wordmama
Eddie, I think it is awful that they don't let you join because you are a man! They're just mean and they don't deserve your company. Maybe you should start your own group! :( :-)
Thanks, WM. :) I mentioned to a couple of well-connected members of that guild (i.e., officers) that I would like to join but mentioned the bylaws prohibition that prevents it. They were actually unaware of that clause in their bylaws and said that they would bring it up to see if they could get it changed. That was back in the summer, so my gut feel now is that it is not going to be changed since nothing came of it. Which is rather hurtful, but I keep telling myself that it's nothing against me personally - I just happen to have the wrong set of chromosomes for them. At this point, I don't know that I'd really want to join them now - it's like the joining experience is tainted by all this, so I don't know that I would actually go now if they did extend membership to me.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 AM

Hey Eddie,
Just so you know, not all guilds are the same. Our by-laws only state that you have a heart to committ and want to experience all things good that come from being a lover of fabric. We actually have a number of men that will slip in from time to time and one of the youngest is 9. Keep looking the right group or as mentioned your own group is awaiting your company. We will certainly save you a chair if you are ever in our neck of the woods. My husband attends when he can and he loves fabric shopping. He's angle on things is so different from mine that combined we come up with some great results. Whatever direction you take, keep sewing, it's such a wonderful outlet for your own style of creativity and for me - it helped me quit smoking 20+ years ago.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 AM

Please don't put it off, if you really enjoy quilting, Join now! It is usually one night a month and full of people who "quilt speak". I am in a quilt guild that meets on a night I work late but still steal out to make a few meetings. There are other guilds in my area too, so I am going to explore them also. Great people and you can always learn something new.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:52 AM

I belong to the Capital Quilters Guild here in Raleigh. We have, I think, over 300 members and meet once a month in the evening. That makes it easy for those of us that work during the day. We support three charities with quilts, Quilts on Wheels (wheelchairs), Quilts for Kids (babies at the local hospitals) and SafeChild (kids in crisis). We have a great time at our meetings and I have found that everyone is friendly and approachable. We have show and tell, a quilt book lending library, secret pals, multiple smaller bees, workshops and activities throughout the year. We have an annual quilt auction that supports a different non-profit each year. This month, we had Bonnie Hunter as speaker and it was great. Anyone in the Raleigh NC area, come on out and join us, we have a great time!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 AM

I belong to the West Houston Quilt Guild, www.WHQG.org. We have a membership of around 200 or so. We meet once a month and have many bees that meet weekly at different locations. We have had many wonderful speakers and workshops. We also have a lot of in-house talent. One of our founders was Susan Thomson (Quilts for Mantels & More). Our favorite man,Tom Russell, Art Quilter and Cynthia Regone (Colorful Quilts) are members. Paula Barnes of Bonnie Blue Quilts was a member for many years. We have 2-4 quilt retreats a year and some of the bees create their own retreats. Our guild has a quilt show every other year that includes a donation quilt, a tin can raffle and a quild store. We have a free booth at the IQA show in Houston called Come Quilt With Me. Members of the guild demostrate hand quilting Wed. thru Sunday. We invite those that stop to watch, to sit and hand quilt with us awhile. We work two hour shifts and get in free that day.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:37 AM

I forgot the most important things. Our members make quilts for Linus and we adopt a nursing home each year at Christmas and let each resident select a lap quilt to keep. We also make stockings to donate to Bear Creek Assistance Ministries each year. They fill them and distribute them to families in need.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:05 PM

I am a guild member for almost a year now. It is called Evergreen Quilters Guild located in Green Bay. There are approx 120 members. We do service projects, hold a show every other year, have guest speakers and classes. We meet in the afternoon and evening so all can make it. Have door prizes at each meeting and great treats at break time.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:16 PM

I belong to a guild that has about 70 members. To make it available for working people there are two meetings - 1:30 and 5:30. I go to the 1:30 meeting because I am 20 miles away and the evening meeting is over the supper hour. If we have a trunk show it is at 4:30 or 5 so the evening members can join. We have guest speakers from all over the state. We have a number of classes during the year. The guild puts on a quilt show once a year and a style show of sewing and quilted apparel. It is quite active a group. I have only been in in a little over year but I do enjoy seeing what other do. They do retreats and take a bus to a regional quilt show. It is a busy group.l
Old 10-20-2009, 12:41 PM
cjc

I am not a member of a guild. All the ones that I see in my area have meeting during the day and I cannot attend since I have to work.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:53 PM

I've belonged to the Salt Creek Quilters Guild for 11 years. We meet in the evening at a Suburban Community House from September through May. Currently we have 250 members and a wait list of 25 prospective members. Our biannual Quilt Show is the first weekend of March, 2010 and we usually have an attendance of 1,500 visitors. On the Friday prior to the show, we have a preview night for members and one guest. We vote that evening for the Challenge winners in four catagories.

At 7 of the 9 months we welcome nationally known quilters such as Billie Lauder, Nancy Smith, Linda Milligan, Ami Simms, Carol Doaks, Judy Neimeyer, John Flynn, Roberta Horton, etc. Each speaker lectures on guild night and teaches different classes on Friday and Saturday, which are well attended.

We have a Community Service Committee and make quilts for Ronald McDonald House, Hope Children's hospital, Crises Center for Women & Children, etc. Our Education Committee presents small quilt shows to both elementry schools and retirement centers. We have a lending library of 100's of quilt books and at every meeting a different area quilt shop is featured, offering fabric, patterns and books.

Currently we are participating in a Round Robin ( 5 members in a group) since we are giving the Block of the Month exchange a rest. We have a monthly newsletter that is sent via the Internet to all but 10 members who receive it by snail mail. Our web site is www.saltcreekqg.org. My sister and I LOVE belonging to this Guild which is creative, instructive, friendly and FUN.